Any clue what type of snail this is? Came with plants I ordered. I’m nervous.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No need to worry, probably a Pond Snail. You need to act fast and remove it. When you see one, there are likely others.

I was so hoping it was not. [emoji37] I love my mystery snails and like my nerites, but I do not want pond snails.

I’ll try tonight. If it’s a pond snail hopefully one of my dwarf chain loaches have eaten it.

Very good chance it will be a snack. You can always squish and feed it to them (depends on how you feel about doing it).

From the side it indeed looks like a pond snail. Cut back on feeding and/or so much at one time. If you divide the one day of food for 2 or 3 feedings for a day, it helps the fish eat "all" of the food and hunt for more from the plants and substrate, instead of letting it just sit on the floor.

Any clue what type of snail this is? Came with plants I ordered. I’m nervous.

I got it out and was waiting on confirmation of my worst fears. Is crushing it the most humane way to go?

That last one looks like MTS.

As for crushing, I look at it this way, at least it is a meal for fish than trash. Ecologically speaking it is furthering the life cycle. I feel like it is the best use.

Personally I like pond snails. They do not seem to over breed here, a bit lower pH maybe than their preferred and they do an elegant job of cleaning. They are pretty also. If I have many I will grab a bunch and they get to go into the Clown Loach tank to feed them a treat.

Otherwise if one gets in the middle of a pwc or removal for Duckweed let's say, if there is just one it is usually thrown back if it is a giant or squished if it is small and feed the Endler mommas.

The first pic (pond snail whatever they are) I got some with the plants I ordered too. I noticed I was getting more little by little. I don't mind them but when I start seeing more, they gotta go. I got a bunch out of my tank today. I put a slice of cucumber on top of my water sprite (floating plant) and got a few that way by leaving it there over night or two. That works pretty good. But still have more to hunt down. Getting them as I see them now. Ugh! Kind of a pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom