Anyone else...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

libertybelle

Aquarium Advice Addict
...Still have tiny heart attacks when they see shrimp molts!

This bamboo shrimp is possibly the coolest critter in this tank and I still have a split second of panic when I see the molt in the tank!

I’d love to get a few more but I started with 5 and all but this one found a way out of the tank, through the filter probably. I’m kinda afraid to get any more because I clearly can’t keep the tank sealed well enough to keep them safe!

They started in a 30 gallon tank and I think the fish were startling them into fleeing the tank, so this one remaining shrimp has been hanging in the peacefulness of my overfiltered 10g shrimp / cory tank, happily gobbling the fry food that I put in for him and a few random guppy fry.

While I’m introducing shrimp tank residents... meet cyclops. She came to me from a LFS with one eye but otherwise apparently healthy. Anyone have a guess. I know shrimp can regrow limbs with a molt but what about eyes!?

Attachments

• B7B29148-85A7-49E3-8C61-10812701CF9B.jpg
    B7B29148-85A7-49E3-8C61-10812701CF9B.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 25
  • E720D993-AA0E-43AB-A9B3-78EF46C38FD8.jpg
    E720D993-AA0E-43AB-A9B3-78EF46C38FD8.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 25
  • 7E0A085A-F6F0-4994-9E04-58516BC2FD9A.jpg
    7E0A085A-F6F0-4994-9E04-58516BC2FD9A.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 21
...Still have tiny heart attacks when they see shrimp molts!

This bamboo shrimp is possibly the coolest critter in this tank and I still have a split second of panic when I see the molt in the tank!

I’d love to get a few more but I started with 5 and all but this one found a way out of the tank, through the filter probably. I’m kinda afraid to get any more because I clearly can’t keep the tank sealed well enough to keep them safe!

They started in a 30 gallon tank and I think the fish were startling them into fleeing the tank, so this one remaining shrimp has been hanging in the peacefulness of my overfiltered 10g shrimp / cory tank, happily gobbling the fry food that I put in for him and a few random guppy fry.

While I’m introducing shrimp tank residents... meet cyclops. She came to me from a LFS with one eye but otherwise apparently healthy. Anyone have a guess. I know shrimp can regrow limbs with a molt but what about eyes!?

Maybe????? Will be interesting to find out! It seems pretty amazing if so.

Shrimp molts are startling!

Well now I have two interesting things to look out for. One shrimp that has had a missing eye as long as I’ve had her and a second that just yesterday had a molting issue. She successfully molted the head / swimmerettes and is moving around fine, but she very clearly still has stuck molt on her back. You can see the white layer. Doesn’t seem to be affecting her movement or behavior at all so fingers crossed she’ll be okay!

Very curious if future molts will help either. I’m more worried about the one with a partial molt stuck. Curious if she’d be able to shed a double layer next time around or if it will make its way off on its own eventually since it’s not fully encasing the shrimp.

I probably need to recheck gh/kh to see if there is an explanation for her having difficulty molting. I did turn the temperature down a bit which may help. I had it a little higher for the Pygmy cories (77) but I’ve read cories are fine with it a little cooler and I think the shrimp would like that better too.

Looks like I won’t have to worry about her having to shed a double layer. The portion of exoskeleton that did not shed properly seems to be just gradually flaking away as she goes about her normal foraging.

Back
Top Bottom