Apple snail shell problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco1415

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've noticed the shells on my 3 Apple snails have lately started to almost erode. I've had them for many years now and their shells have always looked a bit off though it has gotten worse within the pass month. I feed them lettuce and a verity of fish pellets but I'm wondering if their lacking something in nutrition. Their shells are still very hard and have not softened though the texture is rough in some areas. I'll see if I can post a photo up later, thanks

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

What's the pH of your water? I'd increase the amount of calcium they are receiving first. Kale is a good source, or just putting a piece of cuttle bone into the tank for them.

Check your water parameters and pictures would be good.

Has your water parameters changed? Low Ph can affect how well inverts use calcium for shell formation. Aquariums tend to drop Ph over time, so if you have had them in the same tank for a number of years, this might be happening. On the other hand (assuming you are not using RO water), water parameters from the tap can change seasonally. If your tap water has dropped Gh, then there might not be enough calcium/magnesium for proper shell formation. Inverts will need enough minerals, and if they don't get them, then their shells will slowly erode. If you are giving them a variety of foods, my money would be on your water parameters being less than ideal. Giving us those numbers would help us determine what the cause is.

Obsession is a matter of opinion

What's the pH of your water? I'd increase the amount of calcium they are receiving first. Kale is a good source, or just putting a piece of cuttle bone into the tank for them.

Check your water parameters and pictures would be good.

I Recently purchased a calcium block for the tank that's suppose to help with turtle shells. I know it's for turtles but I don't see why it couldn't help a snail shell. At the store I also saw a jell that you rub directly on to the shell that's suppose to help but yet again for turtles, know anything about that?

I can't measure the ph right now as I don't have anymore testers left but I do know that the town has been putting a chemical through the pipes lately that's suppose to clean them. When we got the notice about the pipes being cleaned they said the chemical was harmless and we would not notice a difference in the water quality.

I second the cuddlebone. It is in the bird section. It is really cheap, just get the ones without any additives

I can't measure the ph right now as I don't have anymore testers left but I do know that the town has been putting a chemical through the pipes lately that's suppose to clean them. When we got the notice about the pipes being cleaned they said the chemical was harmless and we would not notice a difference in the water quality.

If you're using the test strips you should look at investing into a liquid test kit. The strips are very inaccurate. While doing it you should look into a gh/kh test as well.

I'd suggest getting pictures, the test kit, and increasing calcium. I know the calcium blocks you're referring to but I've never used one.

I just bought a wondershell to help with some calcium and minerals. I found cuttlebone did nothing

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I second the cuddlebone. It is in the bird section. It is really cheap, just get the ones without any additives

I've tried the cuddle fish bond before and they don't seem to do anything with it. I'm not sure if there suppose to eat it or what but it always just floats and rots in the tank when I buy it.

I've tried the cuddle fish bond before and they don't seem to do anything with it. I'm not sure if there suppose to eat it or what but it always just floats and rots in the tank when I buy it.

You can put it in the filter or stick it under a rock or wood to keep it in the substrate. Snails may munch on it once they find it but it'll also just break down into your water and increase the calcium in your water column.

Here's a photo of whats happening ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424057416.178979.jpg

Here's one of the other one in the tank. Not as bad but still a bit of deformity ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424057484.169981.jpg

You can put it in the filter or stick it under a rock or wood to keep it in the substrate. Snails may munch on it once they find it but it'll also just break down into your water and increase the calcium in your water column.

I'll try the cuddle bone again but stick it in the filter. The snails did not seem to much on it last time.

I use cuttlebone in my tank for my snail's, I also have a calcium block and feed hikari crab cuisine as it has calcium in it. My cana snail also seems to have some pitting in him, he's pretty old I wondered if it was down to age? Not sure though. Here's a good site I'm a member of Applesnail.net they have some really good advice on how to help with eroding and high calcium food's for them.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp and snails

Back
Top Bottom