Aquarium snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleky plec

Aquarium Advice Freak
What types are available at petsmart and other lfs? Are there any that don't harm aquatic plants? I'm also wandering if there are larger snails out there instead of small apple snails. Thanks for the help!

Apple
Snails get pretty big. Trapdoor and mistery snails stay small and are the most common. Take your pick :)
They can go with Amazon sword and stuff
Like that i wouldnt do java moss or simalar plants

I have apple and mystery snails. I also have a red ruby nerite which is small

Jacobsal91 said:
Apple
Snails get pretty big. Trapdoor and mistery snails stay small and are the most common. Take your pick :)
They can go with Amazon sword and stuff
Like that i wouldnt do java moss or simalar plants

But I'm also worried that if I get a snail, it will crawl out just like my fiddler crap ended up crawling from my bedroom to the living room on new years. Which I pretty far with many turns.

I've had over 50 snails never had one escape, apple snails only come out to lay eggs. Ruby nerites will escape though I'm told

Ive got 2 Orange Rock Snails (One adult & one aged 2 months )in a planted Aquarium and I must say they are a dream to have...dont breed crazy like some snails and add amazing colour to ones tank.

PS: those specs you see on the shell are Zebra Nerite eggs (THEY have become a real nuiscance laying eggs on everything, but since they need brackish water to hatch, EVERYTHING gets eggs attached to it)

Attachments

• 228983_2248061599242_6299162_n.jpg
    228983_2248061599242_6299162_n.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 104
warthog76za said:
Ive got 2 Orange Rock Snails (One adult & one aged 2 months )in a planted Aquarium and I must say they are a dream to have...dont breed crazy like some snails and add amazing colour to ones tank.

PS: those specs you see on the shell are Zebra Nerite eggs (THEY have become a real nuiscance laying eggs on everything, but since they need brackish water to hatch, EVERYTHING gets eggs attached to it)

Where can I get a snail like that?

I have nerites, apple's, blue & red ramshorns & tylo rabbit snails. I love my tylos as they don't breed like crazy & only give birth to one snail at a time.

ForumRunner_20120717_222051.jpg

Pleky plec said:
But I'm also worried that if I get a snail, it will crawl out just like my fiddler crap ended up crawling from my bedroom to the living room on new years. Which I pretty far with many turns.

There is always a possibility of escape, your just going to have to take your chances. But if they have food and good water conditions, then for the most part they should stay in.

warthog76za said:
Best get tips from members in your region...Im in Germany:)

Omg I didn't know! Lol! I like your answer very clever! Haha. And ok I'll try and look around and see if I can find that snail.

Back
Top Bottom