Are plant weights shrimp safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aiken Drum

Site Team
Im rehoming some java fern to a friend, the plants are currently attached to plant weights. I know the tank they are going to contains shrimp. Should i remove the plant weights before i hand them over.

The weights have not caused any problems with fish and snails, but ive never kept shrimp, so im not sure on that.

The packet describes the weights as "lead strips" but it looks more like zinc to me. I would be surprised if lead was legal here? They certainly are for fishing over a certain size. Ive emailed the manufacturer to find out what they actually are.

Some from other countries can have different materials, I would remove them and add some Prime to help neutralize any possible heavy metals.

They are usually made from zinc, but I recently read some for sale said lead.

Better safe than sorry!

If its zinc, is that OK?

They plants are in my QT tank at the moment and havent actually gone into the shrimp tank yet.

The possible issues with metals and shrimp would be a "no" in my opinion. A long time ago I believe I asked abut it too. Not sure now, as it was a long time back. Rinse, neutralize.

Back
Top Bottom