Are there any Opae Ula (Halocaridina rubra) keepers out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Odin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys, I just signed up and wanted to ask if any of you keep these amazing brackish shrimp? I have a tank setup for them and will add some photos later.

Thanks,

Awesome little critters. I hope to set up a tank one day, if I can actually find someone that sells them where I live.

Is your water full strength saltwater??

Awesome little critters. I hope to set up a tank one day, if I can actually find someone that sells them where I live.

Is your water full strength saltwater??

These little guys are really fun to keep, very active and use all the tank space above the substrate to swim unlike most freshwater shrimp. What country do you come from? I have mine in around 1.010 - 0.014, depends how much evaporation takes place but as they are so adaptable they are very forgiving with swings in water conditions.

Last edited:
How much salt can these guys be in? Have you ever kept them in SW? 1.024-1.026?

They can probably tolerate high salt content for short amounts of time but I wouldn't go any higher then 1.015 to keep them healthy and encourage breeding.

Sent from my iPotato using Aquarium Advice

These guys have been in the back of my mind to keep for a while. Presently, I am still in the thinking and planning stage.

The OU seem to breed with muliti colored offspring. In videos and pictures, I see colors of light pink, salmon, some appear more light to a yellow or golden and almost white to clear. What colors do you see?

Food can affect color of course.

So wondering do you know of people who try to breed any of certain colors to breed to all one color?

Foods...what kinds are best and if you feed primarily algae based food do they tend towards green or brine shrimp tend towards orange to red?

Do they prefer meat or plant based or any and all?

I have raised Dwarf Shrimp for years now so I have the basics of care and feeding the FW shrimp down pretty well.

Have or do you keep other kinds of FW Dwarf shrimp and if so what other ways (other than brakish water and some degree of adaptbility with salt concentrate) are they different?

Originally some years ago dismissed keeping them due to the promotions where they are in a little gift container of maybe 4-12 ounces /say less then half liter of water, "never change water, never feed them".

They are now more widely available and there are people who tank raise and sell them and one larger company in Hawaii who tank raise them, and not harvest / get them from the ponds, which I appreciate. :)

So this brings me to keeping them and that will be more questions for another post!

Thank you Odin... and anyone else who keeps these guys please chime in and share as well.

Last edited:
I have 3 tanks setup for these guys, a larger 17 gallon with around 300 in, and 2x 8gallon cubes. One cube has really deep red Opae'ula and the other tank has Opae'ula that are red with clear bands. I want to see if I can breed the markings onto the 2nd generation.

I keep cherry shrimp too! The Opae'ula are a lot smaller then cherrys, and they really only eat algae based foods, pure spirulina powder works well, I've tried all sorts of food but come back to spirulina and algae based pellet food. If you only have a hand full of these guys you won't have to feed them, algae growing in your tank is enough. No water changes needed so long as the tanks cycled.

The colours vary from completely white (rare), pinks through to red and some have clear bands. Some do seem to have an orange glow but they are about as common as the white ones.

Sent from my iPotato using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom