Assasin danger??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just how dangerous are assasin snails to my shrimp? They are there to help keep the mts under some sort of control and are breeding well but if they are snacking on my shrimp fry too they're outta there

Just how dangerous are assasin snails to my shrimp? They are there to help keep the mts under some sort of control and are breeding well but if they are snacking on my shrimp fry too they're outta there
They can't snack on shrimplets. Don't worry. You are safe.

They will eat your shrimp when they molt for sure ....They will try to eat your shrimp as often as possible...
Plenty of videos and info on this out there...

I Seen some videos but I strongly believe they were sick about to die shrimps. I never witnessed assassin go after shrimps or shrimplets. Shrimp is to quick to be caught by assassin.

Wow talk about conflicting view points - think I am going to start to transfer the larger adults out to my 70g Angel/cory tank as I see them, babies too, but not going to do a frantic search. If I see s significant increase in shrimplet sightings the hunt will become more intense ?

If your purpose is to breed shrimps then go for shrimp only tank or have fish like chili rasboras which are very tiny and peaceful. Some say ottos are hundred percent shrimp safe bet ita not true as well. They can eat baby shrimps. I tried different fish even very tiny but green neon tetras even tiny but they gang up on shrimp. Only fish I found is very peaceful and timid is chili rasbora.

My chilis actively hunt every little creature in my tank, I have only ever heard of otos eating the slime coats off of fish, never going after a shrimp. I would call oto cats 100% shrimp safe, chilis 75% shrimp safe.

Assassins will certainly much on shrimp.

I would say in a purpose breeding tank for shrimp, keep everything out except for oto cats, dwarf corys and that's about it.

My chilis actively hunt every little creature in my tank, I have only ever heard of otos eating the slime coats off of fish, never going after a shrimp. I would call oto cats 100% shrimp safe, chilis 75% shrimp safe.

Assassins will certainly much on shrimp.

I would say in a purpose breeding tank for shrimp, keep everything out except for oto cats, dwarf corys and that's about it.
Mine behave very timid and don't pay attention to shrimplets. I ve seen tiny shrimps swimming in front of them. Maybe I am lucky to have more peaceful batch.

About otto I did read a lot. Some sites say hundred percent shrimp safe. However some articles I read where they accidentally munched baby shrimps. Some I read they go after baby shrimps. These videos I like on this topic:

https://youtu.be/byKywDuv05A

https://youtu.be/Qaa67K1RNBA

Hello,

Assassin snails will most definitely eat your shrimp. They can and will eat adult and baby shrimp. They are ferocious carnivores. They will eat anything they can catch, including fish, shrimp, and snails. I have only found one type of snail that they can't eat. I would tell you the type, however i have yet to positively identify what type they are. I have a post with pic. On here looking for help on this. If you are serious about breeding and raising your shrimp, then get the carnivorous snails out asap! I have had a large assasian snail kill and eat b.b. puffers! (Just for perspective). As far as fish are concerned, fish are opportunistic hunters and will eat anything that fits in their mouths. (This goes for ALL fish) Hope this helps!! Good luck!!
~
Dave (>")>

Hello,

Assassin snails will most definitely eat your shrimp. They can and will eat adult and baby shrimp. They are ferocious carnivores. They will eat anything they can catch, including fish, shrimp, and snails. I have only found one type of snail that they can't eat. I would tell you the type, however i have yet to positively identify what type they are. I have a post with pic. On here looking for help on this. If you are serious about breeding and raising your shrimp, then get the carnivorous snails out asap! I have had a large assasian snail kill and eat b.b. puffers! (Just for perspective). As far as fish are concerned, fish are opportunistic hunters and will eat anything that fits in their mouths. (This goes for ALL fish) Hope this helps!! Good luck!!
~
Dave (>")>
Great post. Yes shrimps do best when they are on there own. Some fish behave good when lights are on but after lights go off its a different story.

In some conversations of the members of the Colorado Aquarium Society which I am affiliated, (but defer to ones with much more experience than I have), were discussing the theory that the Assassin snails use a neurotoxin to stun/paralyze or kill their unsuspecting prey, explaining how they can take down a big snail, like a Mystery snail, or other healthy fish which would otherwise just swim away if it was nibbled by a snail.

In the hearing of the conversation it was discussed that there was need of testing to see if it was true once and for all. And some indication that was something like that in the works.

Back
Top Bottom