Assassin Snail breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyne

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anybody know the breeding habits of Assassin Snails? I just caught two of mine locked together at the water line (with a third looking at them like a pervert).

Attachments

• snails.jpg
    snails.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 163
They have sexes and lay eggs. If you want babies, feed them snails, and give them a calcium supplement. Those fish vacation feeder blocks work pretty well, or even calcium pills from the drug store. Possibly they can need iodine, but that is one I am not certain about.

Chopped beef heart is said to be taken if snails are not available as food. The eggs are rarely laid on glass, mainly on strong stems, like anubias. Not sure how long they take to hatch.

yeah.. there's plenty of snails in the tank for them to eat. Kinda why I got them in the first place. :)

Im not trying to get them to breed though. I just thought it was odd to have three (out of four) of them grouped together like that up on the waterline. I can go weeks without ever even seeing one of them!

Oh, dont get me wrong. If a few babies were to appear that would be fine.... though Id rather they not get out of control like the pest snails did. Then I would just be replacing one type of snail infestation with another. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom