assassin snails and shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhOU

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been battling pond snails to no avail. Tore down a tank and started from scratch. 10 gallon planted red cherry shrimp tank. New plants dipped in bleach solution. Cycled tank. Transferred shrimp. about a week later... pond snails appear again!!!

So I'm wondering if assassin snails will control the problem before the population grows? Will they go after shrimp or shrimplets? And I've heard sometimes they don't prefer pond snails? I'm desperate at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm pretty sure they'll eat the snails and no to the snail eating the shrimp I doubt it can catch a shrimp atleast that's what I think

Sent from my C6606 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They will eat them slowly but also any nice snails you have. Also I've heard you could end up with an assassin problem then.
Do like me. Pull them out. I never see more than like 5 at a time.
Its actually become quite the treat for my fish to eat the ones I catch. I crush them between my fingers and drop them in. All my fish go nuts for them. As soon as I pull one out now they all come to the front of the tank and wait. I'll take a video if you want.
My angel gobbles them like nuts. I'm actually trying to give my fish a flavor for them so hopefully they hunt them on their own. I'm fairly certain my moose of a molly will catch on.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom