Assassin snails under gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brookster123

Aquarium Advice Addict
Recently posted about escaping assassins, I got 4 a week ago, only see one! It's a 10 gal. Where could they be? Do they go under gravel chasing the mts?

Mine never have, or are really crap at hiding if they are trying. I believe they do tend to though. It's meant as an ambush tactic I think.

I saw 3/4 this morning, they must be hiding in driftwood or under java mat

Mine does dig down in the gravel. Sometimes I see only the tip of his shell sticking up

I breed assassins and they are always under the gravel, the sand, bogwood, rocks, hiding in plants or chasing mts through the filter! They love the hiding and will bury themselves in the substrate to flush out any snails. They are fascinating little whelks. If they have a good supply of food (they eat anything meaty by the way, flake food included) you'll end up with babies at some point. Enjoy

Good too know, I did get them to irradicate my mts pop but now I find myself following them around the tank more and more, curious little buggers. I wouldn't mind the babies, I just doubt they're getting as much food as they'd need, between Pleco and shrimpies eating all the scraps up quick..

I started out exactly the same, got 3 to control the mts population, ended up with 50+ and totally fascinated with them. You've probs still mts somewhere, they are tough to wipe out. Hoping you get baby assassins :)

Here's a new one, not exactly related to thread title but while I have an assassin expert on the line... Noticed a kind of split on the underside, rear of shell looked a bit off as well, any ideas?

Here's a new one, not exactly related to thread title but while I have an assassin expert on the line... Noticed a kind of split on the underside, rear of shell looked a bit off as well, any ideas?

Have you got a photo at all?
Thanks

I've not seen anything like that with mine before. I've read about similar things but don't really know enough about it. I think it's a calcium deficiency in the water that won't let the shell form properly. Possibly cuttlefish bone, egg shells or a touch of crushed coral would help. If you've still got mts you can feed them fresh courgette, that's packed full of calcium and will gut load the assassins favourite food with it.

Just added some egg shells, already had a touch if c. coral mixed in w substrate. Hopefully it meets their calcium intake requirements, had anyone explored tums(anacid) in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom