Australian Blue vs Electric Blue Crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4abettalife

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have recently purchased several crayfish. The one store labeled theirs "Australian Blue Lobsters" and the other "Electric Blue Lobsters". I'm having difficultly finding out the difference between the two. They look incredibly similar. Internet research is telling me that the Electric blue is Pocambarus Alleni. Does anyone know what the scientific name of the Blue Australian is? Are they, in fact, the same species? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

the australian blue is a yabby - Cherax quadricarinatus and should live up to 20 years in the right conditions. they're not always blue and can be called variants of 'such and such' red claw and 'such and such' blue claw. the electric blue would be the crayfish from southern US as a guess. very different species but possibly similar requirements? definitely similar temperature needs as this yabby is found in Northern Australia.
They are both crayfish and not lobsters assuming common names are true to what they are known as in Aust.

Perfect! Thanks for the info! It's much easier to find out more detailed information when I actually have a species name! I appreciate it!

No worries. I love yabbies! I have a pond of Cherax destructor as it's a bit cooler where I am, but they also thrive nearly anywhere and are sometimes called red or blue claw also. Yabbies are full of personality!

Back
Top Bottom