Baby snail id

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melisme

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What are these guys?
There is one mystery snail in the tank. Not sure if these guys hitch hiked in on a plant or my snail was pregnant when acquired about 1-2 months ago.
I have counted 8 of them in my 5 gallon tank!

So mystery snail or bladder/ pond snail invader?

Thank you!!!

-m

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 32
More pictures

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 25
Look like pond snails, pretty common for them to hitchhike in on plants if you don’t dip or quarantine them.

Thank you! That’s what I was afraid of.
Going to thin them out a bit so they don’t over run the tank more. Probably a losing battle now!

What fish are in the tank?

I got rid of them in my heavily planted 29g years ago. I made sure not to overfeed and squished them against the glass when I saw them. Eventually I think my fish (mostly tetras) got the taste for snails and started eating the little ones so between them eating the tiny ones and me squishing the big ones they got eradicated. No chemicals.

Yes, definitely a bladder snail. You can tell these from pond snails by the clear looking shell with yellow spots and the direction of the spiral of the shell. A single snail hitchhiked into my tank and I now have tons. They don't bother me and don't eat my live plants so I let them stay. In return they keep my betta tank and my shrimp tank fairly spotless. My betta fish eats some of the babies and eggs which helps keep from having a full blown explosion in his small tank.

Yes, definitely a bladder snail. You can tell these from pond snails by the clear looking shell with yellow spots and the direction of the spiral of the shell. A single snail hitchhiked into my tank and I now have tons. They don't bother me and don't eat my live plants so I let them stay. In return they keep my betta tank and my shrimp tank fairly spotless. My betta fish eats some of the babies and eggs which helps keep from having a full blown explosion in his small tank.

Yup, this is true. Many people don’t like them but don’t assume you *have* to get rid of them. If you don’t mind them and don’t overfeed they can be useful creatures to have around.

Back
Top Bottom