Baby snails in shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dayton

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently added some new plants to my cherry shrimp tank. I have noticed two very small snails now that probably came in on the plants. I can see very small white spots crawling on the glass inside the tank, which I assume are baby snails. I really don't want to have an explosion of snails in the tank. What do you suggest to get rid of the snails without harming the shrimp? I do have one larger shrimp in there already but it's been in for a while

Also there are small white dots on my driftwood. I have them in my other tank but was never sure what they were? They aren't moving. Would they be from the snail I have? Maybe eggs?

What you have are probably pond snails, I don't like them either
Your best bet for them are assassin snails

They might be limpets. Another mollusk, similar to snails. They will breed but a quick swipe with the magnet cleaner keeps them in check. In my shrimp tank I only clean the front pane and leave the other three unattended. Lots of biofilm for the shrimp (and limpets and snails) to eat. Personally I would not worry about them (limpets or snails). If you get an explosion, it is most likely because the conditions are conducive to this (e.g. - over feeding).

Well I have only fed my shrimp a couple times since I got them. I figure they have a lot to eat already from the plants and algae. I will feed sparingly although I haven't been feeding much anyway. Also I just saw a tiny shrimp on the glass of my tank. I don't see anymore yet but I think my shrimp have begun to breed

Cool on the new baby shrimp. They start out very small.

I feed my shrimp one algae wafer every other day. Otherwise they are grazing on the moss. The babies are often found on the algae covered glass walls.

The snails I have resemble rams horn snails but carry their shell sideways and only get 1/8-1/4" (they are very small). They have been in the tank for 10 months. Population in check. Tank is moderately planted.

Yeah when I feed them it's with algae wafers. Only a small piece though. My tank has only been up for about a month and I only had the shrimp for a couple weeks.

Back
Top Bottom