Bamboo shrimp feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mulch05

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have just got bamboo shrimp and they don't like being out in the open but hide beside filter or under the rocks. I have no idea how I will manage to get them fed as I have microscopic food for them but they are never out to catch it

So I have just got bamboo shrimp and they don't like being out in the open but hide beside filter or under the rocks. I have no idea how I will manage to get them fed as I have microscopic food for them but they are never out to catch it
Don't worry. They are new. They will gradually come out and eat. If your tank is old it will have bio film already which shrimps will graze on. Don't worry about the food at all. Sometimes shrimp takes even weeks before they feel comfortable. Also if you have fish in your tank they may take some time to come out and explore. Also what food kind of microscopic food you are talking about? Bacter Ae?

Do you have a mature and stable, cycled tank? Do you have an area with strong flow?

Just add small amounts of powdered food on a regular basis. Feeding other fish will also help circle food around the tank.

They need an area to hang on to in the strong flow like a driftwood or stone.

Also if there are aggressive / predatory fish they will want to hide.

They also hide for a couple days if they have recently molted.

Are their feeders blackish? Sometimes they are damaged by ammonia burn. Fresh, clean water is VERY important all the time. After a couple molts they should get better.

Check water parameters frequently and add water changes due to the additional feedings.

No problems and I'm unsure it's the fish shops stuff the give to there shrimp and the tank has a good slime coat and plenty of food intake to eat. On seams happy to be out and the other sits on the filter in my tank or attached to my air sponge at the other side. But no preds in my tank all happy and friendly and tank gets a 40% everyweek or more if I'm using frozen foods

Sounds good. Just keep an eye on the water quality with the extra feeding you will likely have increased numbers. They should move around some over time. They are fun to watch!

Sounds good. Just keep an eye on the water quality with the extra feeding you will likely have increased numbers. They should move around some over time. They are fun to watch!
Yeah I think they look amazing. One is already quite active but one is really dark blueish and he's always hiding in the thick silk plant. Thought the little bugger jumped out last night as forgot to close my tank lid.

You could try target/spot feeding the shrimp with a turkey baster. That way you can ensure they are getting enough to eat (instead of feeding the tank).

Are they Atya gabonensis / Vampire shrimp or Bamboo/Flower shrimp Atyopsis moluccensis??? Some Vampire Shrimp are blue, some tan.

The VS are easily distinguishable by the shape of their body.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atya_gabonensis
One is very light tan and the other is a blue brown and they both have pom poms on the hands or fans. But again one is always out now and the other isnt. Both a good 2.5 inches long

Back
Top Bottom