Bamboo shrimp or crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
MY son loves lobsters. He doesn't understand the difference between different invertebrates. So I thought he might enjoy a crayfish or some bamboo shrimp in my 55gal tank. It has been up and running for two years and should have enough food in the water column for the bamboo shrimp. I was just wondering if the crayfish would bother my giant danios (probably too fast for it to catch) or tiger barbs I am thinking of adding to the tank. Also wondering if i should add the fish first or the invertebrates.

Tank set up:
55gal FW
Marineland magnum 350 pro filter
sand substrate
plastic plants
two floating moss balls
one crop of amazon sward

Inhabitants:
4 giant danios
3 old neon tetras (on their way out the door. they are oooooold.)

thinking of adding tiger barbs and either the shrimp or crayfish.

I got my bamboo shrimp 2 days ago and he just hangs out in my driftwood, so if you are wanting to watch them do stuff I'd go with crayfish. Those fish are most likely too fast for him to catch.

He deffinately wants to watch them. He always makes me stop at the lobsters in the grocery store. The last time we were there he asked if people bought them to eat them.... awkward parenting moment.

Lol, I've never kept crayfish before but in the wild they seem pretty active.

I heard that crayfish don't live that long?? is that true does anyone know because im on the brink of getting one too but if it only will live for 1 year... i dont know if its worth the time
Link that might help..

also.. do you have to have substrate for a crawdad? The tank I want to put mine in doesnt have any tank substrate.. just aquarium bottom. Some advice would be helpful :hide:

I have heard they like to tear up live plants and tear up fake plants....I have never kept them however....but you could probably get a dwarf orange crawfish and it should be good

Most crayfish will do a number on plants. CPOs and Cajon dwarfs are fine as long as they are feed. The dwarfs are active day and night and are cool to watch. If not for the sword plant I'd say get a Yabby. The get huge and the claws grow so large they can only catch a dead fish if lucky.

All the crayfish get a personality. Some of mine run to the front of the tank just before the end of p.m. fish feeding. They each get 1/2 a blanched pea daily. I have a few that wave their claws at the fish, nobody ever catches any. Don't worry about the fish you named. The only thing is don't get bottom dwellers. Some of my crayfish live with corys, but it is individuals that decide if that is a problem or not.

Back
Top Bottom