Beggining Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tinyninjafishy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everybody, I'm new to shrimp and have a couple questions as to whether I am doing the right thing and any advice is helpful. I don't have it set up yet, but want it perfect when I do. This is the set up:
- 5.5 Aqueon Glass Aquarium
- 38cm aquaglo light
- 5.5 incandescent hood
- jet black 5lb gravel
- small peice of Malaysian wood
- Java moss
- other quick growing plants (any ideas?)
- about 10-15 shrimp to start
- sponge filter

How long should I have the tank running before I put the shrimp in? do I feed them everyday? and any other helpful advice would be awesome!!!
thanks!

With shrimps. Your best doing a fish less cycle for the best chance of success because shrimps are more sensitive to poor water quality than fish. They don't need to be fed to often, I feed mine once ever second day. I feed them blanched zucchinis, algae wafers and occasional bloodworms. Sponge filter is good for shrimps :) hope this helps

Sponge filter is the way to go. Let it cycle for about a month. Leave the light on at least 12 hours a day to get some good algae growth going. The need a good layer of biofilm to eat in the tank. I recommend cherry shrimp at first they are the hardiest shrimp. Ghost shrimp are good too but they won't reproduce in fresh water, the shrimp lets need brackish water. My shrimp tank walls are green on the back and sides and that's where the babies hang out picking at the green buffet on the wall.

hmmm that's very interesting and also very helpful! RCS are definitely the plan! if they start to breed out of control what do you suggest doing? (sidenote: I'm doing this in a college dorm room haha)

also, for water changes, what do you suggest putting in the water to make it safe?

You can usually sell them if they get to out of control...and for water changes I usually take some water put water conditioner it and let it sit over night just to make sure it is safe...I have a five gallon blue velvet shrimp tank and I have java moss and java ferns and some cambomba the java moss in my tank covers half of the tank so they have plenty of biofilm and my tank also has algae all over the glass so they can feast on it

I do a 50% water change in all my tanks weekly. I just add seachem prime to the half empty tank and refill it. Never had an issue. I sell my extras and use them as food as well. My angels love them. A friend owns a fish store so I give some to him as well occasionally.

Wow you guys are all very helpful, as I'm in a small space I can only run one tank. so can't use them as food. My LFS doesn't sell RCS, so do you know of any online place that sells quality for not too expensive?

Ghost shrimp are good too but they won't reproduce in fresh water, the shrimp lets need brackish water.

Sorry this is a little off topic but I disagree with this statement ghost shrimp can breed in freshwater I have plenty in my 20 long started with 5 and have a good 30 now SOOOO.

hahaha alright. well I just went out and bought most my stuff but my LFS didn't have everything...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388701874.610562.jpg

this is a picture of broiling my Malaysian drift wood. I thought it looked pretty cool. still more to keep you updated on

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388703492.307249.jpg

My small attempt at a little aquascaping. feel free to hint at some improvements!

I haven't yet! at least java moss. some help with decisions of plants would be awesome!

Well since you went with a larger pea type gravel I would just suggest java fern needle leaf or windelov and some hornwort maybe an anubias nana petite you can attach to the drift would along with the java moss and ferns or you can get a porous rock such as lava rock at attach it to that....the same with the java fern and moss...you could probably do water sprite or wisteria to if you wanted

Back
Top Bottom