Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-16-2015, 08:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Berried Amano shrimp!

Just today I noticed that one of my Amano shrimp is berried! How exciting I've heard that trying to breed Amanos is very difficult, and as such, it's not really something I'm interested in doing. But it's nice to know my 11 shrimp are happy, healthy and completely unbothered in my 29 gallon community tank!

Pic One
Pic Two

Sorry the pictures are a little blurry, just using my phone

Old 12-16-2015, 09:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

One of my Amanos has been berried off and on this year. Tons of eggs. Too bad the hatching/raising part is complicated. Otherwise I would have hundreds of them.
I took your pics and swapped the URL tags for IMG tags:

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 12-16-2015, 09:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh thanks! Yeah, the salinity thing is kind of a pain. Oh well, I suspect the eggs and perhaps larvae would make good snacks for the fish/snails in there! Circle of life :P
Old 12-16-2015, 09:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmonday View Post
Oh thanks! Yeah, the salinity thing is kind of a pain. Oh well, I suspect the eggs and perhaps larvae would make good snacks for the fish/snails in there! Circle of life :P

Would be cool if you had spare tanks and could do a SW drip over a period of time and then reverse it with FW. And lots of planktonic algae or whatever the larvae eats.
Eh, lots of work.
Not sure what happens to the eggs when the female has to molt. I guess she just drops them? Or they remain with the old exoskeleton?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 12-16-2015, 09:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
Not sure what happens to the eggs when the female has to molt. I guess she just drops them? Or they remain with the old exoskeleton?
That is actually a very good question! I have no idea.
I'm still really new to the aquarium hobby, so I'm not too interested in complicated breeding projects.

I guess I'll keep an eye out!
Old 12-16-2015, 11:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Should be as usual with shrimp. Molt happens before she mates and drops eggs. I've read the eggs can be taken and put in a straight sw incubator, and the fry moved to fw to finish growing once they're on solids, as it were.

Tags
amano, amano shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com