Berried Amano shrimp!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmonday

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just today I noticed that one of my Amano shrimp is berried! How exciting :) I've heard that trying to breed Amanos is very difficult, and as such, it's not really something I'm interested in doing. But it's nice to know my 11 shrimp are happy, healthy and completely unbothered in my 29 gallon community tank!

Pic One
Pic Two

Sorry the pictures are a little blurry, just using my phone

One of my Amanos has been berried off and on this year. Tons of eggs. Too bad the hatching/raising part is complicated. Otherwise I would have hundreds of them.
I took your pics and swapped the URL tags for IMG tags:
PmbJTkS.jpg
cxhb42H.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh thanks! Yeah, the salinity thing is kind of a pain. Oh well, I suspect the eggs and perhaps larvae would make good snacks for the fish/snails in there! Circle of life :p

Oh thanks! Yeah, the salinity thing is kind of a pain. Oh well, I suspect the eggs and perhaps larvae would make good snacks for the fish/snails in there! Circle of life :p

Would be cool if you had spare tanks and could do a SW drip over a period of time and then reverse it with FW. And lots of planktonic algae or whatever the larvae eats.
Eh, lots of work.
Not sure what happens to the eggs when the female has to molt. I guess she just drops them? Or they remain with the old exoskeleton?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Not sure what happens to the eggs when the female has to molt. I guess she just drops them? Or they remain with the old exoskeleton?

That is actually a very good question! I have no idea.
I'm still really new to the aquarium hobby, so I'm not too interested in complicated breeding projects.

I guess I'll keep an eye out!

Should be as usual with shrimp. Molt happens before she mates and drops eggs. I've read the eggs can be taken and put in a straight sw incubator, and the fry moved to fw to finish growing once they're on solids, as it were.

Back
Top Bottom