Best light to show off shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candacecook1025

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am planning on upgrading my hood and light for my planted shrimp tank soon. Obviously the main beneficiaries will be the plants, but I also want to show off the amazing color of my Blue Velvet shrimp. They look kinda pale under the generic basic light I have now. All the light technology is over my head, so I was just going to go with the recommendation from someone at the LFS regarding the hood and light bulbs. But is there anything specific I need to get to show off the blue shrimp better? Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

**going to cross post in planted tanks as well, so hopefully nobody gets ticked off if they see the same post there too.**

What type of hood do you have, incandescent or fluorescent?

I use 13 watt 6500k "daylight" CFL bulbs in all my incandescent fixtures, these are available at lowes and Costco for about $7 a pack . I believe the daylight spectrum bulbs will give you the best colors out of both shrimp and plants, along with a dark substrate.

Which do I have? Um, the basic kind that screws in...which one is that???

Can you tell I am def a beginner? lol

I have a dark substrate and lots of wood and plants...will check out the lights you suggested...thanks a lot!

Which do I have? Um, the basic kind that screws in...which one is that???

Can you tell I am def a beginner? lol

I have a dark substrate and lots of wood and plants...will check out the lights you suggested...thanks a lot!

You have incandescent lighting, pick up the bulbs I suggested and the plants will appreciate it and the shrimp will look great. There's a lower wattage version available at Walmart in the pet department but they are $5.96 a pop.

If you have a 10 gallon with the hood that came with it, it will fit a CFL (Compact fluorescent lamp), you would want 2 13w 6500k cfl for a 10 gallon.

Definitely buy from a hardware store, much cheaper. Ask for a daylight cfl bulb, make sure you check the temperature rating is at least 6500k (which is sunlight), sometimes they sell 5000k as daylight, but that is not enough.

I get mine from lowe's, my homedepot never has them =/

Back
Top Bottom