Betta's and shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hummingguppy

Aquarium Advice Regular
In the land of potatoes. otherwise known as Idaho.
Ok, so I'm wanting to make a little tank for my room. I'm not sure exactly what size, but I'm moving my little female Betta (currently in a one gallon) into it. Thing is, I've always wanted some shrimp. I've owned some ghost shrimp, and I wanted to go with some red cherry shrimp. Will my Betta go after them? She's a really tiny thing, about 3/4 of an inch including her fins. It will be planted with java moss, Anubias, java fern, and some other assorted plants, and I'm planning on aquascaping it with a really unique rock I was able to acquire as the theme, so there should be some cover.

My first attempt at red cherry shrimp started with a beta tank. It was a five gallon planted. As soon as I let the shrimp ( ten of them) i the tank the bettA went nuts for them. I grabbed the net and started fishing them out right away. They were in the tank for about 5 mins before I got them out and only four weren't eaten. The betta was pretty happy tho. He now lives with bamboo shrimp and doesn't even notice it. No more cherries for him unless my shrimp tank gets over crowded.

I think it also depends on the betta, some are calmer. It also depends on how many hiding spots there are, but obviously some baby shrimp would be eaten. Amano shrimp get bigger and might blend in more. I've never had shrimp in with my betta though, this is all hypothetical.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom