Bladder snail infestation, could use some help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

auterbug

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone. So I'm having a bit of a problem with a bladder snail infestation. I recently stocked a new tank and unfortunately the plants carried some unwanted visitors. I was fine with them at first, but their population has just exploded, its terrible. Their eggs are everywhere and I can count at least 20 out in the open at a time (I'm sure there are many more hiding about). This is happening in my ten gallon stocked with some tetras, some shrimp and a rabbit snail.

I don't really want to kill the bladder snails and don't really think I'd have it in me to anyways. I have read that I can control their population a bit by not overfeeding, but I struggle with knowing exactly how much to feed at a time. What are my options here? I know some fish could eat them, but I don't want my shrimp to also be devoured (plus my tank is already quite full). I know I could lure them out with some vegetable bait, but what do I do with them then? I have a crayfish in another tank, would she eat them?

Any help is appreciated. :sad:

Things like not overfeeding etc will help keep numbers down in the future, i dont think it will help short term.

There are traps etc that will help you get them out of the tank, then the not overfeeding measures will kick in and keep numbers down from any you miss. If you dont want to kill them though? Could a local fish store take them off your hands? Anyone local keeping snail eating fish that might want them?

There are chemical treatments, but these will harm your shrimp.

Get an Assassin snail perhaps? These can kill shrimp also, but i understand they wont be able catch healthy shrimp.

Once your snails are under control i would remove anything that might harbour snail eggs (plants) and do a dip to kill off any small snails and eggs before returning them.

They might be something that you never fully eradicate short of emptying everything and starting over.

Yeah I figured these guys would be to stay, just really want to get the numbers under control. A few articles I read said they can actually be pretty beneficial to tanks, given they aren't overpopulated.

A local fish store might be a good idea! Though I know a lot of places consider this a pest snail so may have to call around a bit for that. Was also considering the assassin snail, but I worry about one going for my rabbit (though she's fairly big so I doubt they would). Didn't know they went for shrimp, so I'll have to look into that.

What kind of dip would you recommend to get rid of the eggs? I've never done any dips before so some advice there would be awesome!

Thanks so much for the info so far, by the way!

Back
Top Bottom