Blue lobster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdalton535

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’ve recently bought a blue lobster and has been in quarantine for about a week I have 2 tank options of where to put it from there one has goldfish and nurite snails and the other gouramis, guppies and bumblebee gobies which would u recommend putting him in

Is your goldfish fast or a slow fancy one? I would put it in there because they dont need a heater.

Ok thanks my goldfish are common and shubunkins So they swim pretty fast

Thanks the tank is a 16 gallon custom aquarium made to fit the corner in my room

Yes will become too small for GF.

Should be good for a Blue Crayfish! To make it interesting, they like caves, tunnels, DW, rocks and may chop up plants, but stem plants should recover and grow back, and if it gets pulled out of the substrate, then it can easily be replanted.

***Edit also they can crawl out so be aware of their amazing escaping abilities!!!!!

Common GF can get 12-14 inches in a normal environment. A pond is a good option for the common's future.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/foru...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

Does your blue "lobster" have a name yet?

I know it will be to small I have lots of other tanks and a pond to move my goldfish in thanks for your help

What do you feed them? My daughter has tried raising tiny babies for the lfs, and has hit a wall with it. She can’t get them to eat anything. She’s used blood worms (live and frozen) algae wafers, fry, flakes, spurlina, daphnia, brine shrimp.
From what I’ve read here, it may be water temperature? I think she has a heater in it. We have a normal crawdad in another tank and he’s growing super fast and flourishing. It’s the blue and white babies I’m worried about ��

I feed him frozen blood worms, algae flakes and veg depending on what he decides he wants However he did not eat yesterday and when I woke up today he had managed to get through the lid of my tank and was on my floor I put him in a small dish to get him used to water again and now he’s just laying on his side at the bottom of the tank if this malting behaviour or should I be worried

Check your water parameters to make sure everything is well within the safe zone or even close.

I would personally do a regular pwc even if parameters are okay. Better water, mineral content better for the cray.

This is the behavior of the creatures, go off looking for a mate, explore the area, look for better water or conditions. Their nature is to explore and scavenge.

Molting is often done hiding behind a rock or someplace secluded because of their vulnerability / soft body during and after molting.

Give him some time to rehydrate and feel better. perfect water quality. Keep the lighting low or off to help it be a calm environment.

This is the same issue we were having. We lost three (death). I’m curious if it has to do with water conditioner, since this is what we use for water changes. Our big crawdad is in a bigger tank with our turtles with cuttlebones also. He eats to his hearts content and roams and hides freely. The guy at the lfs, is having a difficult time with them also, which is why we pitched in. We’ve had regular crawdads, and never put this much effort into raising babies, since we never bought them this small before. We’ve hit a wall too. Laying on its side isn’t molting. :(

This is the same issue we were having. We lost three (death). I’m curious if it has to do with water conditioner, since this is what we use for water changes. Our big crawdad is in a bigger tank with our turtles with cuttlebones also. He eats to his hearts content and roams and hides freely. The guy at the lfs, is having a difficult time with them also, which is why we pitched in. We’ve had regular crawdads, and never put this much effort into raising babies, since we never bought them this small before. We’ve hit a wall too. Laying on its side isn’t molting. :(

What is your water conditioner?

What is the pH and do you know GH / KH TDS?

A few things which may help more...
https://dennerle.com/en/products/na...amins/premium-shrimp-food/shrimp-king-mineral

Also their other Shrimp King complete.

Shrimp snow which is soybean hulls/husks.

Presently looking for 2 other products can't recall the names a liquid and a food for babies and growth.

I will shoot this post through now as I might not have time to check this right now.

GlassGarten Mineral Junkie pearls and Bacter AE and their baby shrimp food all excellent products.

You might also want to check into the botanicals like Indian almond leaves, mulberry guava, banana and others. JungleFowl here at AA also sells online Jungle Aqua Shrimp sell a bunch of these things.

Doing lots of pwc's also keeps the critters healthier and happy.

We think it was the water conditioner. There is a specific type for crustaceans. Don’t use the kind with aloe.
My water parameters are good for my area. I have hard water, but I do use extra plus conditioner for our hard water. My nitrates, ph, etc are all balanced. My water hardness in Florida, where I’m at is really hard. I lived in Ohio prior, and my water was softer there. I can forget purchasing anything from anywhere that’s imported. I have two local fish stores that buy locally from independent breeders. One fish store uses salt in freshwater, the other doesn’t (which is important information to know, because salt is good but if fish aren’t acclimated properly, they will die). I have a tank for acclimation. Anyway, I asked the guy at my lfs about it. He tested my water, and the issue WAS the conditioner. I add extra every time a new plant, ornament, fish plant or water change is done. So, the extra aloe was probably the problem. The crawdads went in my 21 year old daughters tank. She adds a lot more than I do, a lot more often. It’s great for fish, but not so much the crawdad babies.

Back
Top Bottom