Blue lobster questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drfu

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im thinking of adding a blue lobster for my current community freshwater aquarium and wanted to hear some advise from others who have done the same.

Here is my set up:
33 gallon with lots of filtration, sand & gravel substrate, been running for almost a year
Non detectable ammonia, nitrites, copper, nitrates below 20ppm, 75 degrees, ph 7.4
Two pieces of driftwood and lots of live plants, mangroves.
Corys, tetras, otos & a large clown loach
Apple, nerite & mts snails

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406832339.172169.jpg

What would get eaten by the lobster if anything?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I've never owned one but I did look into it once. From what I found I'd say if you get one, you will no longer be in charge of how the tank looks as they will uproot plants, make a mess and move stuff around.

They will eat what they can catch and I read somewhere on here that they have been known to climb wood or rocks and launch themselves off in a bid to catch fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice assuming the app didn't crash.

Yea, say bye to the live plants. they will uproot and cut all that they can get their claws on. It would most likely try to catch and eat the cory cats and anything else that drifts on the bottom. And to the last part Camescu said, that is true for both blue and orange crayfish. Had both (at separate times) and they both figured out rather quickly they could climb up and drop onto fish to try and catch them.

Instead of those, have you looked into a CPO or two instead? Orange dwarf crayfish. They're a miniature version and do very well in community setups.

Yea, say bye to the live plants. they will uproot and cut all that they can get their claws on. It would most likely try to catch and eat the cory cats and anything else that drifts on the bottom. And to the last part Camescu said, that is true for both blue and orange crayfish. Had both (at separate times) and they both figured out rather quickly they could climb up and drop onto fish to try and catch them.

Instead of those, have you looked into a CPO or two instead? Orange dwarf crayfish. They're a miniature version and do very well in community setups.

No i never heard of cpo, but i will look into it, thanks for the tip.

Just read up on the CPO, I'm in. One thing i didnt see is how many, are they happy by themselves or should i get a pair or are they happy in odd numbers like 3 or 5?

Second question is will they go after my cherry shrimp since they are soo soo small or are they too quick to catch?

There's always a possibility. I don't know much about them myself but I'm sure someone will chime in with knowledge. Maybe ask in the invertabrate forum?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom