Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2021, 07:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Breeder basket or no?

Hi all! I have a shrimp and snail only tank and have my first berried red cherry shrimp. Do shrimp need a breeder basket if no fish are present? I have 2 young mystery snails, an abundance of bladder snails, and about 12 other shrimp (some rcs, some blue...yet to figure out the mystery of types of blue shrimp, 2 chocolate, and several that my pet store call amano).

Old 03-04-2021, 08:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

No need, if there are no fish in the tank a breeder box would just unnecessarily stress out the female!

Old 03-04-2021, 08:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

From my experience with baby shrimp you do not need one. I had bought some rcs and blue dreams and two had spawned while getting bought. I do have fish and they donít mess with the babies. It also depends on how high up your filter is in my opinion, as the accidental tag alongs donít get sucked up in mine. They also will be very hard hard to spot when fist spawned so you probably wonít be able to find them but as they get bigger theyíll show more. This is just my experience so try and get other opinions as well. If you are uncomfortable with them free roaming then put them in a breeder basket.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertybelle View Post
No need, if there are no fish in the tank a breeder box would just unnecessarily stress out the female!
Thank you! I was thinking this and then got paranoid that other shrimp would eat the babies.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallonmilk View Post
From my experience with baby shrimp you do not need one. I had bought some rcs and blue dreams and two had spawned while getting bought. I do have fish and they donít mess with the babies. It also depends on how high up your filter is in my opinion, as the accidental tag alongs donít get sucked up in mine. They also will be very hard hard to spot when fist spawned so you probably wonít be able to find them but as they get bigger theyíll show more. This is just my experience so try and get other opinions as well. If you are uncomfortable with them free roaming then put them in a breeder basket.
Thanks for the reply! My filter is sponge to prevent shrimp getting sucked in, so I think I'm good there. I was just concerned that other shrimp or snails might eat the babies. I'll feel much better leaving the mom free roaming, as I would hate to make her live in a basket until the eggs hatch.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, cherries/snails won’t eat the babies. The only reason cherries would eat other cherries is if the shrimp is dying or dead already. They’re not sentimental so they will definitely eat a dying/dead shrimp! But they don’t attack other healthy shrimp.

And stressed mama shrimp can drop their eggs and they won’t hatch, so I’d avoid a breeder box if you can help it.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertybelle View Post
Yeah, cherries/snails wonít eat the babies. The only reason cherries would eat other cherries is if the shrimp is dying or dead already. Theyíre not sentimental so they will definitely eat a dying/dead shrimp! But they donít attack other healthy shrimp.

And stressed mama shrimp can drop their eggs and they wonít hatch, so Iíd avoid a breeder box if you can help it.
Thanks! No box for me then!

Tags
breed, breeder

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com