breeding shrimp while using glut and ferts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MMantelli

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got a bunch of crs and some cardania shrimp for my dirted10g. I have been dosing excel, comp and leaf zone. I was just told that if I want them to breed to cut out the excel or at least dose a half a dose. I'm not saying I don't belive him I was just wandering if I can get peoples experiance with crs and exclel.

Thank you

As long as you don't double dose, you should be fine. Also, regular NPK+Trace ferts will not harm the shrimp either.

As a side note, what are Cardania shrimp? If you meant Caridina, you may have issues with inbreeding if housed in the same tank as CRS.

Yes I meant those and sorry I got the annogram backwards I meant red cherry shrimp or is it cherry red shrimp lol lack of sleep sucks.

That's OK :) CRS is the name for Crystal Red Shrimp, Caridina cantonensis. Some people call RCS CRS for "Cherry Red Shrimp" but that just gets everyone confused :oops:

Out of curiosity, what kind of Caridinas? There is a wide variety out there like bees, tigers, and crystals :)

He just said orange caridina I would love to get some crystal red shrimp or even the black crystal ones though. For my 20 or something even that wouldn't blend in with green and red plants with black substrate. But looks cool.

Here's a couple pics sorry there so blurry (camera phone)

yeah, CRS/CBS are very cool. Those orange shrimp look like sunkist shrimp, Caridina propinqua (spelling may be ever so slightly off)

I'm planning on getting some Blue diamond shrimp soon, it's a very new strain of Neocaridina originating from Chocolate neos. Here is a picture of them:

Attachments

• bluediamonds.jpg
    bluediamonds.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 156
Hey, found the pics! lol

I love the Orange shrimp, beautiful. Give them time to relax after their crazy day!!!

So glad you were able to get them locally!

ya he even drove 70 minutes to deliver them i was just gonna have him ship them to me (my big truck is horrible on gas and woulda paid more in gas than i did for the shrimp) and he said for the cost of shipping he would just drive them to my house him and his girlfriend were really nice ill be posting a thread in the feedback section tonight but now i gotta go shower and eat dinner be back in an hour or so

As far as ferts go, you can basically dose your heart out and be fine. The EI method has you dosing several times more than PPS and probably an order of magnitude more than liquid ferts, and you still don't see any bad effects.

Excel though, you can start to run into problems. If you are inclined to increase your glut dosage for whatever reason, you can try setting up some sort of auto dosing mechanism that will dose either a full dose or 75-80% twice a day to spread out the peak concentration. I've tripled dosed Excel before with shrimp, but they were visibly agitated about it.

As far as ferts go, you can basically dose your heart out and be fine. The EI method has you dosing several times more than PPS and probably an order of magnitude more than liquid ferts, and you still don't see any bad effects.

Excel though, you can start to run into problems. If you are inclined to increase your glut dosage for whatever reason, you can try setting up some sort of auto dosing mechanism that will dose either a full dose or 75-80% twice a day to spread out the peak concentration. I've tripled dosed Excel before with shrimp, but they were visibly agitated about it.
Cool I'm using the pps-pro method of ferts thank you.

And with the glut I have no need to dose more than needed. So dosing the normal 1ml/10g shouldn't stop them from breeding correct?

Well I finally came to the conclusion that glut will not stop cherry red shrimp from breeding my 2 largest females are berried and I dose 2ml/10g daily.

I bought a gallon of metricide and a uv blocking bottle you just mix it 50/50 with distilled water but make sure you throw out the activator bottle that comes with the metricide. There's also omnicide you can get them off amazon I reccomend getting the gallon its $30 shipped and makes 2 gallons its better than spending $15-$20 on only 500ml of excel.

I bought a gallon of metricide and a uv blocking bottle you just mix it 50/50 with distilled water but make sure you throw out the activator bottle that comes with the metricide. There's also omnicide you can get them off amazon I reccomend getting the gallon its $30 shipped and makes 2 gallons its better than spending $15-$20 on only 500ml of excel.

The bottle so it doesn't degrade...where did you get the bottle?

What do you mean "throw out the activator bottle"? The bottle and its contents? What is it supposed to do? or what is bad about it?

And the cost is a major reason why I am interested. lol

The activator bottle comes with the glut it a little 2oz solution that they mix with the glut to activate it into a cold sterilization solution you don't need it it will kill fish. The uv blocking bottle I got off amazon the one I got is an amber glass bottle and I spray painted it black. you can also get a black plastic bottle and there's also amber bottles designed to block uv light and yes it is so the glut doesn't break down.

Back
Top Bottom