Calcium question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Calcium, its important. My snails definitely need some. However is cuttlefish bone the only option? Will it foul up the water if I leave it in there? And if they don't eat it will they still get calcium from it just being in the water?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Calcium, its important. My snails definitely need some. However is cuttlefish bone the only option? Will it foul up the water if I leave it in there? And if they don't eat it will they still get calcium from it just being in the water?

Hi, I use cuttlebone in both my tank's and haven't had any problems with it. I also use calcium blocks which I buy for my snail's and I feed them food which contains calcium spinach, kale and Hikari crab cuisine. If the snail's don't eat the cuttlebone it will still dissolve into the water so they will get calcium from it.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

Hi, I use cuttlebone in both my tank's and haven't had any problems with it. I also use calcium blocks which I buy for my snail's and I feed them food which contains calcium spinach, kale and Hikari crab cuisine. If the snail's don't eat the cuttlebone it will still dissolve into the water so they will get calcium from it.

Where can you get safe cuttle bone? I know you can get it in the bird section of pet stores but the only ones I've ever seen are covered in bird seed or have some kind of vitamin for birds.

My lps usually just sells normal cuttlebone, but I get mine off my father he keeps bird's so I'm lucky that way. Ebay maybe?

I started using Wonder Shells.

http://www.amazon.com/Weco-Wonder-S...8&qid=1426509761&sr=8-1&keywords=wonder+shell

I used an entire shell once but now I actually smash it up and drop a piece in with each water change. I see the snails using it much more than when I tried cuttlebone.

I've always wondered about those but concerned they'd foul the water. I take it they are good for shrimp too? Wouldn't mind trying them.

I've been using the extremely fine repti-cal... its calcium supplement for reptiles. Mine is specifically labeled "without vitamin D". I mix 1/2 tsp in a 20ml syringe and shake it well to make what looks like milk. I typically add it at the filter intake. It'll turn the water a foggy white for a couple hours but that doesn't seem to bother the fish any.

I've been doing this now for a couple months. I dose every water change and up to twice a week.

My ghost shrimp are no longer ghosts, their colors are much more apparent whites and reds. Prior to dosing I usually always lost a couple shrimp a week, now it's down to a couple a month with the same population!

My snails' shells all have a very noticeable band showing where/when I started calcium dosing. The newer shell is much thicker and no longer translucent!

I also dose 2 tsp of alkaline buffer and 3 grams/gallon salt with each water change. (this is in a 20G tank)

I've heard of using reptile calcium without the vitamin D. I have reptiles and so we sometimes buy that for them.

I've used chunks of cuttlebone (Walmart).
I also use montmorillonite clay. Very fine powder enriched with calcium. Will temporarily cloud the water.
The snails in my planted tank have suffered from shell decay. Probably because the plants are pulling minerals out of the water column faster than I can supply them.

I've always wondered about those but concerned they'd foul the water. I take it they are good for shrimp too? Wouldn't mind trying them.

The first couple I threw in whole but they dissolved REALLY fast, which was probably due to lack of minerals in the water. My levels got a little off but I cant say it was the shell since I did a bit of a shuffle with my plants and really stirred up the gravel and waste.

I actually break the shell now and just put in a piece with each water change. It dissolves much slower now.
I like them

Thanks Nick I'll maybe give them a try :)

Back
Top Bottom