Can anyone tell me what kind of stail this is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keedee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As I'm cycling my new planted tank I notice that I got some hitch-hikers. Are these snails okay to leave in my tank or are they going to hurt my plants? Thanks!

Whoops here's the picture

Attachments

• snail.jpg
    snail.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 104
Just a normal pond snail, I have a few in mine, they eat algae and won't grow much bigger than that, population control is another issue =P

I have been wondering the same thing since we also just had these show up - I think these were on the java fern as eggs? Now I can't tell if they are eating the java or if the java just isn't doing well? The rotala seems fine and thriving. I don't mind the snails - kind of exciting except I feel bed that they are in there during cycling...hopefully they won't take over....

I mean I feel bad, not bed...silly autocorrect. Though I am tired too....one more thing about the snails - once we have fish will they eat them or do we need assassin snails? I want shrimp though - do they eat shrimp?

There are a few fish that will consume snails, however, some are best in a species only tank and some get too large for most smaller tanks (puffers, clown loach, respectively).
I would not worry about them. Try not to over feed your fish. They will not harm shrimp.

I don't know about not worrying about them.. They are pretty harmless towards other fish, but they can become a nuisance if not taken care of soon, as they reproduce faster than rabbits! You might get an assassin snail to consume them once your cycle is complete. For now, if I were you, I would be taking some slices of blanched cucumber or zucchini and putting them in the tank to catch the freeloaders. It won't get all of the snails, but it will help with the population some while you wait for the tank to finish cycling. Just take the cucumber/zucchini out and remove snails and plop the slice back in the water. You will want to cull the snails so that they don't have to suffer too much. Hope this helps a little.

Back
Top Bottom