can different snail species interbreed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

linds3y

Aquarium Advice Freak
In my 10 gal I have a golden mystery snail and a blue ramshorn snail. And then all of a sudden....a baby snail, have no idea what kind, is cruising across the glass today. What?

Snails have reproductive organs that contain both female and male parts which means they do not need one another to have babies just learned this in class lol

I popped him out real quick for a picture, here he is having a great time crawling around on my hand. I do not think he looks like a mystery or a ramahorn...maybe just a pond snail? But how did he get in there then??

Maybe someone can ID him?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121004_132615.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121004_132615.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 197
hellaasian said:
Snails have reproductive organs that contain both female and male parts which means they do not need one another to have babies just learned this in class lol

So they're like asexual? So you could just buy one and it could have a bunch of babies on it's own? Yikes...

Yep that was what i learned lol and they come on plants when u buy them

most snails are asexual and will breed on there own , mystery snails are apple snails and need a male and a female to breed , if you bought plants he most likely came in as a hitch hiker

I bought plants, but that was probably 2 months or more ago...I suppose he could have came in as an egg and I just didn't spot him until now

yeah the same thing happened with mine i didnt notice them untill awhile after. And found a batch of snail eggs on a vallis i purchased.

Haha oh man I wonder if there are more. I think I'll keep him though, he's kinda cute ;P

haha there are sure to be more! i put mine in the water feature outside at first because of me not wanting the plants to be eaten, and i didnt want to hurt them. Niw there seems to be a different kind of tiny snails in there so im just leaving them in there. They can be usefull little things in the scavenger sense of things. You will know if your overfeeding cos you will get a plague of snails overtaking the joint hehe if not they will stay in check :) I quite like snails myself i think it gives the tank a more natural little eco sytem feel. Oh and my plants are still doing great also.

I bought plants, but that was probably 2 months or more ago...I suppose he could have came in as an egg and I just didn't spot him until now
You'll start seeing more. This is what happened to me, too. Those pond snails reproduce like mad. If you see clear slime in a tube on a plant, that's snail eggs.

Back
Top Bottom