Can i add ghost shrimps to my planted fish tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishingBuds

Aquarium Advice Activist
I tried a couple times add around 8 ghost shrimps to my fishh tank but they always die/disappear 2 days later

Tank set up:

2 ANGEL FISH (got them 6 months ago)

1 DOJO LOACH (got it 6 months ago)

1 BLUE RAMIREZI ( got it about 2 years ago)

5 PLANTS: ludwig, 2 amazon swords, hygrophilla polysperma, lucky bamboo

1 young assassin snail

a whole bunch of regular snails

FILTER: TETRA WHISPER FOR 40G TANK

TANK SIZE: 20G

HEATER - AVARAGE OF 75-78F

FLUVAL CO2 MINI KIT FOR 20G (recently added)

plant pack fundamentals lvl1 (recently started dosing)

I did the TETRA EASYSTRIPS 6-1 and i found out that the water parameters are:

NO3- SAFE

NO2- SAFE

GH- HARD (NEVER CHANGED SINCE I HAVE THIS AQUARIUM)

chlorine- SAFE

KH- IDEAL

PH - 7.8/8.4

I really don't know why they die, I have their food, I have an aqueon fert in which says it is for plants and shrimps, I have a moss ball and a lot of space/hides for them in the tank.

20200515_185400.jpg20200515_185510.jpg20200515_185441.jpg20200515_185414.jpgIMG-20200415-WA0014.jpg

That is a really big angelfish and I bet he's picking them off. Shrimp really don't really mix well with most fish outside of the very small nano species like dwarf rasboras. Maybe just skip on the shrimp in this tank. If you are just looking for some variety I would recommend you check out bamboo shrimp. They are a larger shrimp species that are specialized filter feeders. They're a cool oddball to add to a well established tank.

I knew it, angel fish eats everything, I added 5 neon tetras once and by night they were gone...like ghosts

I have a blue ramirezi almost 2 years old and they are territorial, but they never fight. They kinda kick each other at the feeding time but other than that...nothing

I was looking for the bamboo shrimp and, are they 10 bucks each??

I would highly suspect your dojo loach snacking on your ghost shrimp! We had 2 loaches in our planted 75gal and managed to loose over 2 doz ghost shrimp in under 2mnths.

Back
Top Bottom