Can I Have a Crayfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Random Fishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I have 23 gallon hex flat back and was wondering if I could get a crayfish with what stock I have and my tank set up.. Here are some details of my tank: its not planted,the bottom is gravel,and no caves really. Or not yet anyway. I plan on adding driftwood really soon. I have one goldfish ( tank bully and dictator) two mollies, one snail and one Pleco. They get along ok. I am slowly changing my tank up but I'm taking it day by day and modifying my plans if I have to. I know I CAN'T have any real plants if I add the crayfish. I want it though because honestly its the only cool pet I know that looks awesome and is easy to care for. Unless anyone else has suggestions. Of course, I don't plan on adding it NOW. Just a thought for the future. So what are your thoughts?

Ok so I have 23 gallon hex flat back and was wondering if I could get a crayfish with what stock I have and my tank set up.. Here are some details of my tank: its not planted,the bottom is gravel,and no caves really. Or not yet anyway. I plan on adding driftwood really soon. I have one goldfish ( tank bully and dictator) two mollies, one snail and one Pleco. They get along ok. I am slowly changing my tank up but I'm taking it day by day and modifying my plans if I have to. I know I CAN'T have any real plants if I add the crayfish. I want it though because honestly its the only cool pet I know that looks awesome and is easy to care for. Unless anyone else has suggestions. Of course, I don't plan on adding it NOW. Just a thought for the future. So what are your thoughts?

Looking at your stock list, I'd not recommend a crawdad. How big is your goldfish, pleco and snail? You are on track with not having live plants, these will get eaten/torn up or up rooted. The crawdad, depending on it's size, may try and eat the snail and go after the fins of the Goldie and pleco.

Looking at your stock list, I'd not recommend a crawdad. How big is your goldfish, pleco and snail? You are on track with not having live plants, these will get eaten/torn up or up rooted. The crawdad, depending on it's size, may try and eat the snail and go after the fins of the Goldie and pleco.

I think the plec can hold its own. The snail is more medium sized I would say. The goldfish is kinda large.

I would not put a crayfish in there if I were you it would probably eat the snail and snap at the fins of the goldfish and could go after the pleco too

I would say if you get rid of the gold fish and don't mind your snail being food at some point you can get a small crayfish. No Cherax for you, but a CPO would work. You likely could do a marble crayfish as they don't get too large.

I am a Crayfish lover and have over a dozen spread throughout my fishroom. They don't bother the fish much and never catch a healthy one. They are fun to watch and have personality. You may at some point want to get another tank and dedicate it primarily to Crayfish. A 20L puts you in Cherax land and they are too cool.

Back
Top Bottom