Can I Ship These Snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gigas

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Unfortunately, Apples Snails are heavily invasive in my local canals, and by helping getting them out, I will be giving them to friends in other states that are intrigued by these creatures. But I am not sure if it is legal to ship them, because I know some species of snails DO require permits to ship interstate. Attached is a photo of the kind they are, if anyone knows their exact scientific name, let me know please, too! :)

As far as how to ship them, I know how. Almost the same as reptiles, except in a bag of water.

Here ya go:

Attachments

• 10399994_1454975254751760_2080790584806784665_n.jpeg
    10399994_1454975254751760_2080790584806784665_n.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 107
Some members of the apple snail family are not legal to ship across many state lines. You would have to check each state for regs. They are very successful invaders, hence many states have restrictions on some species. You need an accurate species name to find out what is allowed where. If you cannot be sure of species, the answer will always be no. The Giant ramshorn, for example, is very restricted, though some other family members are ok. Be sure, check first with any state you want to send them too. They are air breathers, so don't ship in only water. Wrapping in damp moss works, with less risk of suffocation.

Hi, I'm in Missouri and they are legal here. I'll take 6 if you P.M. me with the shipping charges. I have a few vats indoors where they could be put to good use recycling plant material.

Hard to believe my local store is getting ten bucks a snail for these guys ! I like them, but they don't work in planted tanks, sadly, and I do not have space to give them their own tank. If you want to help reduce their numbers, you can destroy any egg cases you find, as each one may have hundreds of baby snails inside. There will still be plenty of them though.

Anybody have any idea how I would go about seeing what state allows interstate transactions? I tried looking on the Lacey Act page, and cannot find anything about them.

Nevermind, found this off a federal site:
Effective 5 April 2006, USDA-APHIS requires permits for importation or interstate shipment of all marine and freshwater snails. Permits are not being issued for members of the genus*Pomacea, with the exception of the spike-topped applesnail, Pomacea diffusa*(FFWCC 2006). To ship any of these species without a permit is a violation of U.S. federal law.

Guess I will just have to ship the cooked meat as perishable goods for their snail eating skinks.

Fish and Wildlife can be a real pain sometimes, though I had a surprisingly helpful response from them once concerning importing Dero worms. They were more helpful than the Canadian government was. Just can't always win with these things, I guess.

I have caught around 100 adults, and I can tell you, the time I have kept them, I have very much enjoyed them as a pet. I feel really bad killing them for skink food. They are super cool.

Back
Top Bottom