Cherry shrimp breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChCichlids

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just recently bought a cherry shrimp breeding colony and I have no idea how they breed what to do with their baby's and pretty much every thing else. If you know anything about breeding cherry shrimp please tell me.

RCS are easy to breed, just keep clean, stable water .... Temps in around 76F-78F ... and they should breed constantly. They hatch as miniature adults that feed right away on bio-film, algea or other food the adults feed on. Adults do not hunt, track or eat the babies so there's no worries there. Basically whatever you feed the adults, the babies and juveniles will also eat.

I have heard they are easy to breed but I have never done it... I am going to get some soon too though :) does anyone know if the fish (if there are any in the tank) will eat the babies? Guess it depends on the fish... But what about live bearers and tetras?

RCS are easy to breed, just keep clean, stable water .... Temps in around 76F-78F ... and they should breed constantly. They hatch as miniature adults that feed right away on bio-film, algea or other food the adults feed on. Adults do not hunt, track or eat the babies so there's no worries there. Basically whatever you feed the adults, the babies and juveniles will also eat.

Do you know signs of one being " pregnant" or whatever they do. Or what they look like.

If they have eggs they will have a "Saddle" just behind their heads, if the eggs are fertilized she will be holdin them under her abdominal area.

I have heard they are easy to breed but I have never done it... I am going to get some soon too though :) does anyone know if the fish (if there are any in the tank) will eat the babies? Guess it depends on the fish... But what about live bearers and tetras?

Yes fish will eat the babies ... With enough plants, rocks and DW you may have enough survivors to maintain a small colony. Shrimp only tanks is how you get large colonies.

Back
Top Bottom