Cherry Shrimp + Otos - Temp, When To Add, Etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ianeberle

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently set up a planted 10 gallon tank that I plan to put red cherry shrimp and oto catfish in. The tank has been cycling for about 2 weeks now using an AquaClear 20 filter set on a lower setting (to be more suitable for a 10 gallon). I currently have a large piece of driftwood, about four rather sizable plants, a marimo moss ball (transferred from my established tank to assist cycling) and an HC carpet in the making. I also have Java moss growing slowly on the driftwood.

I have two 14w CFL bulbs rated at 5000k in there right now. I am also planning on adding DIY CO2 as soon as my diffuser arrives that I ordered from eBay.

The only living animals in my tank right now are about four Malaysian trumpet snails that I also added from my established tank last night.

I tested my water last night and had a pH of 7.6, ammonia of 0ppm, nitrate no2 of 1.0 ppm, and nitrates no3 around 5 ppm. I know that no2 nitrates appear in brand new tanks and my plants are lowering the levels every day.

Basically my questions are as follows:

1. How much longer should I allow my tank to cycle before adding otos and / or shrimp?

2. Should I add otos or shrimp first?

3. What is a good temperature to keep the tank at that will get the shrimp to breed but keep the otos happy at the same time?

4. Is there anything else I should know before diving into this? I don't want to get shrimp just to have them die instantly... I want to make sure everything is perfect first.

In case you were wondering, I was planning on getting the catfish from my LFS and allowing them in the tank for about a week or two before ordering the shrimp on Aqua Bid or eBay. Not sure if this is the best method, but you can let me know.

Thanks!

When it is finished cycling, add shrimp first. Otos need some form of algae. You can supplement with wafers, but honestly, I have 3 ottos in my 10 gal with RCS and they are kinda worthless as far as I am concerned. I also have endlers in there that just had a buttload of fry. You will have enough MTS before to long to probably take care of everything and not even need the oto. I have a bunch of baby albino bristlenose and just put 1 of them in there for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom