Cleaning Cherry Shrimp Species Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquariumc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I have a 2.5 gallon cherry shrimp species tank and it is starting to grow algae on the glass. I usually do partial water changes but I would like to do a whole tank clean up. Any suggestions on how to remove all the shrimps? Thanks!

Attachments

• image-3663820987.jpg
    image-3663820987.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 109
You can catch the shrimp with a net and drop them into a bucket while you clean it out. You can skip a day or so of feeding so they are hungry then drop in a sinking pellet in each side of the tank, maybe one in the middle.

While the shrimp go and eat you scoop them up. You separate the pellets so you can scoop them up from 2-3 spots.

But Why do you need to take them out? You can scrape the algae on the glass with a razor blade. You can vacuum the substrate, use a white bucket in case you suck some up.

If you are trying to get rid of the algae, there are a few things you might try.

How long do you leave your light on. Is it stronger than normal? how many watts? Is it an old light bulb?

If you leave it on for more than 8 hours at a time maybe you can try a timer so it can be off for 2 hours during the day.

Do you have sunlight hitting it? A light right next to it that stays on all the time?

Over feeding. Type of food you feed? They require very little quantity of food.

Do you wash your filter with tap water?

If you do a big whole tank clean out you will be eliminating much of the bio film in the tank that the shrimp feed off of. Shrimp like established tanks.

Yep, don't drain your tank, just wipe the front glass, leave other walls alone for shrimp to pick at.

Light cut down to 6 hours a day if needed
And ditto other suggestions.

Water changes 1-2x weekly if needed.
Partial 10-25% water changes.

I never net shrimp, too easy to lose them. I bait a clear jar.

The tank looks like its near a window that can be where allot of your algae is coming from. I'd suggest moving the tank if you can. Also adding fast growing plants will help use the extra nutrients in the tank and out compete the algae, I'd suggest java moss, java fern, guppy grass, hornwort and anacharis.

Like others have suggested just scrape the front glass, maybe add a snail. If you are going to net shrimp make sure to use a specialized net that is designed for shrimp.

To remove algae safely and cheaply. Get a toothbrush (never used before please haha) and start brushing! Never scratches the glass or acrylic and is very effective.

Long term solution would be to get a few more plants to out compete the algae and reduce the amount of ambient light. Java Moss and a black background would do wonders. Black will make the RCS stand out and Java Moss is a great low light plant that gives them a place to hide and scavenge for food.

To remove algae safely and cheaply. Get a toothbrush (never used before please haha) and start brushing! Never scratches the glass or acrylic and is very effective.

I never thought of this, that's a great idea. I'm excited to go home and " brush my tanks".

You can catch the shrimp with a net and drop them into a bucket while you clean it out. You can skip a day or so of feeding so they are hungry then drop in a sinking pellet in each side of the tank, maybe one in the middle.

While the shrimp go and eat you scoop them up. You separate the pellets so you can scoop them up from 2-3 spots.

But Why do you need to take them out? You can scrape the algae on the glass with a razor blade. You can vacuum the substrate, use a white bucket in case you suck some up.

If you are trying to get rid of the algae, there are a few things you might try.

How long do you leave your light on. Is it stronger than normal? how many watts? Is it an old light bulb?

If you leave it on for more than 8 hours at a time maybe you can try a timer so it can be off for 2 hours during the day.

Do you have sunlight hitting it? A light right next to it that stays on all the time?

Over feeding. Type of food you feed? They require very little quantity of food.

Do you wash your filter with tap water?

If you do a big whole tank clean out you will be eliminating much of the bio film in the tank that the shrimp feed off of. Shrimp like established tanks.

I have a horned nerite snail in my 5g RCS tank to keep that away....just a suggestion

Back
Top Bottom