Copepod infestation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kharrnn

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a RCS tank that for a short while housed a dwarf puffer and bumblebee goby, during that time I had moved all the RCS to another tank so they wouldn't be eaten. Before I removed the fish and added the shrimp I looked for copepods. I originally put the fish in there to deal with the copepods since they were taking over my tank. Well, now that the fish are gone the copepods are returning, rapidly. What can I add to the tank that will leave the shrimp, and the shrimplets, alone yet still eat the copepods so they don't overrun the tank again and start eating the plants like they were before?

Please give me some ideas. I prefer it to be a small, solo, inexpensive fish so it doesn't outgrow the 10g or add a large bio load.

Kharrnn said:
I have a RCS tank that for a short while housed a dwarf puffer and bumblebee goby, during that time I had moved all the RCS to another tank so they wouldn't be eaten. Before I removed the fish and added the shrimp I looked for copepods. I originally put the fish in there to deal with the copepods since they were taking over my tank. Well, now that the fish are gone the copepods are returning, rapidly. What can I add to the tank that will leave the shrimp, and the shrimplets, alone yet still eat the copepods so they don't overrun the tank again and start eating the plants like they were before?

Please give me some ideas. I prefer it to be a small, solo, inexpensive fish so it doesn't outgrow the 10g or add a large bio load.

Well. I thought shrimp did. I know micro predators probably do. Scarlet* Badis, chili rasboras and such.

I'm nearly certain planaria do. But they're disgusting.

Why do you want to be rid of them? I think they're neat :)

Because they spawn faster than my shrimp, eat all the food and when the food is gone they eat the plants. With no food the shrimp go hungry and they are the focus of the tank.

Kharrnn said:
Because they spawn faster than my shrimp, eat all the food and when the food is gone they eat the plants. With no food the shrimp go hungry and they are the focus of the tank.

Are you most certain the Copepods eat your plants?

It is hard for shrimp to go hungry. They eat nearly 24/7 between the biofilm, microscopic things they eat, algae and the food you feed.

If there is enough for copepods, then I would say your shrimp are getting enough.

I've never had a copepod / plant issue, but I'd like a second opinion on this one.

Well, before I removed the shrimp and added the dwarf puffer and bumblebee goby I was getting new leaves on my java fern. After the copepod population was high enough I noticed the plants were getting eaten. I decided to sit and watch for a while and I noticed the copepods all over the plants, and watched the leaves get eaten. After the fish were introduced the plants started growing back and the copepods were nowhere to be seen.

It appears to me that copepods were the issue. Apparently there were still a couple in the tank though because they already outnumber the shrimp, and it's been at most a month since I removed the fish. I also haven't added any algae wafers in about a week so the only food source the pods have is the plants. I'll look into some of those fish you posted earlier.

Thanks

Kharrnn said:
Well, before I removed the shrimp and added the dwarf puffer and bumblebee goby I was getting new leaves on my java fern. After the copepod population was high enough I noticed the plants were getting eaten. I decided to sit and watch for a while and I noticed the copepods all over the plants, and watched the leaves get eaten. After the fish were introduced the plants started growing back and the copepods were nowhere to be seen.

It appears to me that copepods were the issue. Apparently there were still a couple in the tank though because they already outnumber the shrimp, and it's been at most a month since I removed the fish. I also haven't added any algae wafers in about a week so the only food source the pods have is the plants. I'll look into some of those fish you posted earlier.

Thanks

How interesting. I apologize for earlier. I said badis badis when I meant to say scarlet badis, or Dario Dario.. Lol.

Well. I've looked in my tank and I also see a substantial amount of them on my glass. So I'll be curious to see if you figure out if they actually are controllable. I personally think they're cute, but you know what they say... Too much of a good thing

MABJ said:
Well. I've looked in my tank and I also see a substantial amount of them on my glass. So I'll be curious to see if you figure out if they actually are controllable. I personally think they're cute, but you know what they say... Too much of a good thing

Any news?

I also have this problem and they do eat my plants as well I've seen holes in my lobelia cardinalis and my anubias

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you find a cure please let me know!

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom