Corydoras in my Shrimptank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulcm10

Aquarium Advice Freak
can i have corydoras in my shrimp tank?
if so. does it have to be a certain species?

I'm sure you could. My cories don't eat newborn guppies swimming next to their nose. I'd do a smaller species.

I have pygmy Cory's with my red cherry shrimp. They only get about an inch long and are very mellow and pleasant. Highly recommend ;)

oh ok thank you! ill look into that. every time i get ottos they seem to not do well.. except for this one that I've had for a while now lol

The cory are very peaceful fish and even the 2" don't bother anyone.

Our aquarium society had a speaker come in and he raises shrimp and sterbai corys together and has no issues or predation. He did say though that its pretty funny to see them bulldoze through large groups of shrimp during feeding.

ohhh okay. i just never hear anyone have corys with shrimps. i always hear get ottos. no one ever suggested corys can be a kept with them haha

Paulcm10 said:
ohhh okay. i just never hear anyone have corys with shrimps. i always hear get ottos. no one ever suggested corys can be a kept with them haha

Once my 55 gallon is cleared out ( holding fish for friend) I am going to breed Bristle nose, Cherry Shrimp and Cories in it.

Believe me, cories eat baby shrimp. in a large tank with lots of small hiding places a certain amount of babies will survive but if the cories can get them they will hoover them up. I believe dwarf cories are a better bet. The most important thing is that the tank is a large one. Fish create a lot of waste and in a small tank you could wake up one morning and find all your shrimp dead because of water variations and amonia spikes. Also, shrimp hide when the are fish even small ones. To ally see active shrimp it is better to not keep shrimp with fish.

Believe me, cories eat baby shrimp. in a large tank with lots of small hiding places a certain amount of babies will survive but if the cories can get them they will hoover them up. I believe dwarf cories are a better bet. The most important thing is that the tank is a large one. Fish create a lot of waste and in a small tank you could wake up one morning and find all your shrimp dead because of water variations and amonia spikes. Also, shrimp hide when the are fish even small ones. To ally see active shrimp it is better to not keep shrimp with fish.

I have shrimp in with Plecos, Bettas and endlers none of those shrimp hide. That's different species of shrimp across three tanks. If there are larger fish that prey on the adult shrimp then yes they will hide but if they smaller more peaceful fish then shrimp in my experience stay active and in the open.

I doubt Cories will eat baby shrimp, I know allot of people personally that keep that combo and they have thriving shrimp populations.

Back
Top Bottom