CPO Crayfish Fighting Over Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ianeberle

Aquarium Advice Freak
About a week ago, I got 4 dwarf orange crayfish (CPO) for my 36 gallon tank. I figured that 36 gallons was fairly large, so I figured four of these guys would be okay together.

When I released them into the tank, I purposely put them all at separate corners so they didn't fight immediately. They have wandered around and not really bothered each other until now.

I dropped an algae wafer in and within a minute or so, two of the crayfish were fighting over it. One would pull it away and the other would pull it back - like little kids. Then they started clawing at each other and one backed down. When my pleco came over to get a little bit of the algae wafer (he is about 2 inches or so), one of the CPOs latched onto his tail until he swam away.

Is this normal behavior or are they really hungry or something?

That's what I thought. Even after all their fighting, they consumed the algae wafer and now they act like bestfriends again... They only got angry with one another when they wanted the same food.

I don't know how people would keep these with their shrimp as they would just claw the shrimp and take all the food.

Back
Top Bottom