Crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Camogirl28

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 36 gal tank with platys mollies guppies etc . And I was wondering if crayfish would work well in there ?

Crayfish will not work in a tank with other fish. That is the mistake i made. I bought 2 crayfish and they tried to attack and kill my other fish. (4 goldfish and 4 tetras) and now i'm wasting a good fry tank on them because they can't have plants or other fish. And some will fight each other till the death

Oh my well that's good to know the are really amazing and beautiful but I want a nice peaceful tank . Is there any other fish or invertebrate that I can have in my tank?

Oh my well that's good to know I love crayfish they are amazing and beautiful , but I want a nice peaceful tank . Is there any fish or invertebrates that are peaceful for my tank ?

Yea that's a really cool idea I will have to look into them

Hi,

Don't mean to be disagreeable, but I have housed Clarkii, Alleni and marbles crayfish with various live bearers without incident. One mistake people make is they don't feed the crayfish and keep the tank free of good food sources. If you were a crayfish, what would you do??

If you provide enough hides, I have strip tanks and use 4" sections of PVC 2x per crayfish you should be fine. I feed mine blanched froozen peas cut in half. They love them and gorge on them. If you want to keep them busy longer, let the half pea sit out an hour or two. As it gets dryer it becomes more difficult for them to eat quickly. I will also use a very small piece of a sinking shrimp pellot 1-2 x weekly. They get in a feeding routine quickly and if you feed them 5 min. prior to lights out you will not have a problem.

Keep in mind no live plants or bottom dwellers like corys. Long finned fish like bettas are pushing your luck as well. Good luck and enjoy them as they are very cool.

P.S. Marble crayfish are a great supply of live food as they clone.

I have snails in with my 2 and i feed shrimp pellets too . I tried 1 plant and well the results was me looking up to see the female holding up the plant and eating the roots ... although some have said they have dwarf crayfish with plants and no problems

Back
Top Bottom