Crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kalikingsmoke

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a pure white crayfish pretty much full grown. I saw a Asian blue crayfish or lobster at Petco today. Are those like normal crayfish? Or are they dwarf? Could I add one to my tank with my current one? Its a 100 gallon with pleanty of caves and hiding spots?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I ask because the people working there know nothing at all.

Assuming its a normal blue crayfish, I think you could add it. Search "blue crayfish" and see if that's the species that was offered for sale.

You say you have a white crayfish, which I'm assuming is the species P. clarkii (would need to see pictures to be sure). If the blue crayfish is the same species, then it might be okay to add it if you have at least 20 gallons of tank space.

If it's truly an "Asian" crayfish as they're advertising then it is NOT AT ALL safe to add it. North American crayfish (which is what your white crayfish most likely is) are NOT AT ALL safe to house with crayfish from other continents. North American crayfish (family Cambaridae) are carriers of a disease called the crayfish plague (or crayfish pestilence). Crayfish from other continents (families Astacidae and Parastacidae) are highly vulnerable to the crayfish pestilence while North American crays are immune.

If your store is selling a true "Asian" crayfish and you were to bring it home to your white crayfish, the blue "Asian" would more than likely die from the crayfish plague. If you can get some good pics of both crayfish (especially top looking down pictures), then we could make a better judgement.

I wouldn't personally, crayfish are super aggressive towards each other. You might have some missing claws.

Its hard to tell they are small almost like babies

Back
Top Bottom