Crayfish compatability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eel lover50

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I have a 20 gallon tank with 5 golden danios and 1 Corey catfish who is pretty small I had been thinking about getting a crayfish to add to my tank as a nice ion. Is there any chance of compatibility? I'm just worried about about my small Corey getting eaten.
Any advice? Are there any crayfish that don't eat plants? Thanks.

Hi, I have a 20 gallon tank with 5 golden danios and 1 Corey catfish who is pretty small I had been thinking about getting a crayfish to add to my tank as a nice ion. Is there any chance of compatibility? I'm just worried about about my small Corey getting eaten.

well, if you want the fish dead you can go head and add it. crayfish is a predator. it will take opportunity, when presented, to have a nice live food meal. especially your cory when they are bottom dwellers. crayfish will eat anything, sometimes even plants. so my advice is not get it, i have had tragedies in the past when adding a crayfish into my tank.

well, if you want the fish dead you can go head and add it. crayfish is a predator. it will take opportunity, when presented, to have a nice live food meal. especially your cory when they are bottom dwellers. crayfish will eat anything, sometimes even plants. so my advice is not get it, i have had tragedies in the past when adding a crayfish into my tank.

I actually own 8 crayfish. Most will eat plants. The best crayfish to get is a marbled crayfish. They r cheap and r a lot less aggressive than other types of crayfish. They also have tiny front claws. I recommend getting another Cory because they like company.

FishCr8zy said:
Marbled crayfish will only eat plants if they r not fed enough.

I have to disagree. I tried planting my very well fed marbled cray tank and they demolished it in a matter of days. They didn't eat all of them but they shredded every last plant.

I have to disagree. I tried planting my very well fed marbled cray tank and they demolished it in a matter of days. They didn't eat all of them but they shredded every last plant.

Really?!
Mine r peaceful and don't eat plants. Only the food I give them.

Mine are peaceful but they chopped the plants to bits. I had a bunch of java moss and maybe 10 java ferns and they demolished it all in a couple weeks, just ripped all the plants up.

crayfish should be kept in species only in most aquarium hobbyists' opinion, with the exceptions to dwarf crayfish aka CPO or like species. they will be predators to your fish unless you have aggressive fish such as oscars. they do tend to "eat" or chop up plants in the tank with the exception to plants that are natural bitter in taste.

My 2 dont seem to notice my snails which i bought for food.. but my fake plants are nice and shredded in most places mosly from them climbing n laying on them ..

And i would agree your cory wouldnt be happy if it did by some chance not get eaten as it would be clawed at if it ever got in the way or in the crayfish territory or tried to eat its food .. plus cories like a group so i would say atleast 3 if not 4 depending on tank size

Alright I appreciate all of your advice! I've decided against the crayfish and have thought about getting my Corey another companion. I just am really looking for a fish that would fit in my tank setup and would stand out. Any advice?

Alright I appreciate all of your advice! I've decided against the crayfish and have thought about getting my Corey another companion. I just am really looking for a fish that would fit in my tank setup and would stand out. Any advice?

A bosemani rainbow would look good.

Is it a 20g long or high thats does make a difference.. if its long you could add like say 5 more cories if its a 20 high i would add mayb 2 more cories and a german blue ram or a bolivian ram ..

I have a 20 high. I don't know much about rams, would they get along with the danios?

What would I have to add or remove to have a happy ram or rainbow? Ill include a pic of my current tank setup

Back
Top Bottom