Dead orange cray :( ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
Came home today and one of my two orange cray were dead. Have no idea why. Thing seemed to be fine. Explored safely. Ate. Actually mold twice recently.
Any ideas what could have happened?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No clue, but I had similar experiences with them. They died for no apparent reason, and though I did see a couple tiny babies in the tank they never grew out. Gave up on them years ago.

No clue, but I had similar experiences with them. They died for no apparent reason, and though I did see a couple tiny babies in the tank they never grew out. Gave up on them years ago.

sucks. He seemed like he was doing great. no issues I could see and after like a month plop. Came home last night and he was upside down.

How long was the tank set up after cycling ?

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

god tanks been cycled perfectly since like sept/oct.
I know its not a levels thing because my fish and amano/ ghost shrimp do great.

Odd he literally molted twice in like 2 weeks when I added him. He just did the second molt then seemed to die.

Id like to get another as I really like these crays but hoping they arent going to keep dying since they are like 10$ a pop. could be a fluke I guess.

Ok. Trying to help rule out the stupid things we can miss sometimes but I feel your pain on debating another.

Second one died now. No idea why

My buddies seems fine and I think they are from the same batch. My water is fine and my shrimp and snails are all fine

Hey, I feel you bro. Had all three of mine die that way. I had them for 3 months max, and then they fell on their backs, had mini seizures and next owning they were dead. Nothing we can do. I'm not going to try the Dwarf Orange anymore, instead I currently have a dwarf blue cray doing fine in a 2.5, just came out of his little "room" under the driftwood from molting, I hope I can keep this little dude alive. But, just saying, it's not your fault. Life happens and some things just aren't meant to be. (Like keeping dwarf orange cray's in aquariums) Sorry to hear about your little guys :-(

Nils

What are your stock fish?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

*Electric Blue Ram*
2 platy (male and female)
1 Red Flame Guorami (AWESOME FISH!)
5 neons
4 blue eyed rainbow
1 juvie angel
2 bumblebee gobies
1 albino BN pleco
1 Rainbow shark - might be being rehomed as he is getting very territorial
shrimp n snails

plants
multiple wisteria, started as one
4 vals, started as one
moss ball
java moss
anubis
java fern
banana plant
sword plant

Where did you get them from, all of you? There are huge inbreeding issues with CPOs out of Asia. When they are selling them in groups of several thousand from one breeder you have to guess there is inbreeding on a mass scale. I wholesaled fish in the 80s-90s and the imports from Asia had this problem. Some stuff never changes.

Some of that tank stock is also kinda questionable with a dwarf Cray as well. They don't have to eat them out right to pester them to death.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Didn't we bring up rehoming the shark previously because of tank size ?

trust me I WANT to rehome this shark. Im convincing her to let me now since its pestering the new blue ram and even my angle. Im a little pissed because we rehomed my flying fox due to its harassment and now Im out the fox and still have to be rid of this.

Its going this week but then we need a good replacement fish since it IS the ONE fish she picked.

I know its not the fish pestering it tho because none of them bother any shrimp and these orange guys literally strut the tank with no worries. No fish goes near them. It was the same with both

They are fine then start to molt and go to the same spot then die.

Hmm.. I've been doing a bit of research for a while now on freshwater shrimp (similar to crayfish in that they are inverts) and one thing I've learned is they need a good source of calcium to molt successfully. I suspect a lack of calcium may be the cause as both died after molting, but I haven't raised any crays myself, only shrimp.

I've been experimenting with ways to boost freshwater calcium levels, soon I'll be testing if the marine calcium test kit is capable of testing calcium in freshwater. I decided to just buy a kit and try it since I haven't been able to find anything online anywhere.

Hmm.. I've been doing a bit of research for a while now on freshwater shrimp (similar to crayfish in that they are inverts) and one thing I've learned is they need a good source of calcium to molt successfully. I suspect a lack of calcium may be the cause as both died after molting, but I haven't raised any crays myself, only shrimp.

I've been experimenting with ways to boost freshwater calcium levels, soon I'll be testing if the marine calcium test kit is capable of testing calcium in freshwater. I decided to just buy a kit and try it since I haven't been able to find anything online anywhere.

I actually keep cuttlebone in my tank. I also leave the molted shells in. Butt could be

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom