Dead shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Camescu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Found two dead shrimp in my tank :( parameters are good so not overly worried to be honest. I think one went from transit stress and the other perhaps old.

Odd thing is I just discovered the old one last night, half hidden under some java moss. Turns out it was mostly decomposed / eaten. Suggesting it has been there a while. All that is in the tank is other shrimp, neon tetras and assassin snails. Who is the likely nibbling culprit?

I'd be rather disappointed but looks like another shrimp is carrying eggs so won't be long before the population picks up again.

Everyone in there would have a nibble at a dead shrimp. Probably the other shrimp the main culprits

Very odd similar thing happened to me one of my adolescent males found dead the other day. No fish nibbling at the dead carcass but my huge tiger shrimp and pearl blues fighting for it. Water parameters are great 0. 0. <10. Not too worried :/

Last night I had another dead adult shrimp (and a suicidal neon took a jump and was not discovered in time).

Parameters are good

Am 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate <10

Filter isn't working as good as it was so I'll check that out tonight. Wondering if reduced water circulation would cause stagnation which may lead to problems???

I feel your pain. Of the 15 red cherries I purchased at an LFS over a 3 month period, 10 died. I suspect they died shortly after molting. Bought a water hardness test kit and the GH & KH were normal (9 & 5 respectively). Did not buy a calcium test but heard that cuttlebone helped. Bought some cuttlebone and added a few large chunks to the tank. The last 5 thrived but none carried eggs (I am thinking since I hand picked these, I might have got all females).

I ordered 20 from another member on this site which included a few berried females and they and the ones already in the tank started producing new shrimp each week. I may have had a few more deaths since the addition of the new shrimp but the tank has lots of plants and hiding spaces.

Tinkered with the filter, and tinkered good. Seems the seal around the impeller wasn't securely fixed which led to a drop in pressure. Circulation back to normal. Hoping that should keep everyone happy. Certainly appears that way.

Back
Top Bottom