deteriorating snail shells

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheeky_monkey

Aquarium Advice Freak
My apple snails shells are slowly deteriorating. They're forming ripples and the section near the opening is thinning with pale sections.

I have cuttle fish in the tank though I don't have a calcium test (i should probably buy one) so I'm not sure if that's helping.

Is there anything else I can do for them?

Tank mates: mollies, b/n and rcs
Params
pH 7.6
Amm 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Perform weekly 40-50% PWC

Rcs shells are fine, shedding no problems etc.

Yes, you can do PH, GH, KH and TDS tests.

Depending on when you put the cuttlebone in the tank, you'll be waiting a while before you see improvement, as we know in this hobby, nothing comes from impatience.

Also, some snails can not repair their shells. Damage is permanent. That's why if you're looking at a long lived and important snail, keep cuttlebone in from the start. I can't tell you which types, but I know it can't be any easier than a human repairing its own bones lol.

Your pH is good for apple snails, but not good for dissolving cuttle bone. I was having the same problem even with cuttle bone from day one, and then I started adding Kent liquid calcium and monitoring GH and KH. You may want to take a look at applesnail.net, too.

Mmm. Can't in those situations, the snails munch on the bone itself?

You would definitely think they would, and maybe some do, (and since that time I've heard of people crushing before adding), but mine didn't. Her shell got so thin it cracked in half. I was desperate - so even though the fish person at the store said not to - I added the liquid calcium (it's for salt water). She lived, her shell got thicker and she has now started to lay eggs that actually hatch.

docbree said:
You would definitely think they would, and maybe some do, (and since that time I've heard of people crushing before adding), but mine didn't. Her shell got so thin it cracked in half. I was desperate - so even though the fish person at the store said not to - I added the liquid calcium (it's for salt water). She lived, her shell got thicker and she has now started to lay eggs that actually hatch.

Oh how interesting.. I'm glad the snail did live.

I think some may, but your example proves some need more.

I should also mention that my tap water is extremely soft (a fact I didn't know back then). It may be that the calcium actually made the water harder and that was what actually did the trick.

I know lots of people who add calcium to the water column, everything from tums to crushed calcium pills. I add camg(co3)2 in powder form after water changes. I have noticed better shell condition in tanks that have this or some other buffer like aragonite compared to the ones that don't. I also have soft water.

Snails use calcium to build their shells, harder water typically has a lot of calcium content, so they go hand in hand. As far as calcium supplements through food, I've tried a few different things including prepared foods with calcium additives but have not really logged any data on it so I can't say if it affected anything noticeably.

I've had the cuttle bone (several pieces changed every few months) in the tank since I got my apple snails quite some time ago. It's only in the last month that I've noticed them deteriorating.

Before adding anything else would it possibly be beneficial to try grinding up the cuttlebone and adding it?

Another thing you could try is spinach or kale suplimented into their diet. Kale especially has a high amount of calcium for a leafy green.

Spinach is part of their weekly treat, is that enough or will more often help?

I have apple snails in all my gbr breeder tanks and spinach is an everyday item for them along with kale when i can get it fresh. My snails are constantly laying eggsacks on the inside of the lite hood and their shells are strong. Offer the greens to them more frequently and see if it helps. Also another thing you could try is stinging nettle weed if your in the continental U.S. google it. Works wonders for shrimp and other inverts. Goodluck.

Just thought I would update.

I upped my spinach feeding to 3 times a week instead of 1. I also realised stupidly that the cuttle fish in the tank was basically dissolved so I replaced that with a much larger piece. After almost a month of this all of my apple snails shells are looking much healthier! There is still one with some thinning of his shell but I think its permanent. My RCS and apple's get along well. The apples give the RCS a free ride for a shell clean.

I also realised the likely cause of the deterioration.

We moved recently to a new water supply. The water at the old house was very hard and the new supply quite soft. I didn't put two and two together and realise their tank water hardness changed so considerably with the move.

bigbanker said:
Awesome that is great news! I've also found well washed egg shells break down much slower than cuttle

So they eat the egg shells? I may have an egg tomorrow just for the she'll then :p

I ended up getting some bottom feeder tablets today by Aqueon (had a 2$ coupon)

Dropped one in intending it for my cats, but they where not interested. Bumble bee cat and an up side down. With them hiding all day I worry that they dont eat nuff some times.

Anyway, my two snails booked it to this thing, and had finished it in about half an hour! will see what it dose for them long term.

ForumRunner_20120605_180844.jpg

Back
Top Bottom