Difference between Procambarus Clarkii and Alleni?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NStalgia

Aquarium Advice Activist
What's the difference between them and what's an easy way to tell them apart?

Um, Clarkii is orange and Alleni is blue.

The Clarkii is what we eat here in Louisiana (nickname: mudbug) and it's found all over the east coast of the US. The blues are called "the Florida crayfish" but they're being bred in many places now.

Around here, an orange is free and indeed you can buy a 50 lb sack of them for boiling at under $100, depending on the time of season. A single blue can sometimes be found in a fish store for $20-25.

They're the same size and have a similar temperament: voracious killers.

I'm so confused. Someone said the difference is in the claw size. I thought it was true cause I have a red one with thinner claws and the other had bigger and spikey ones. I also saw a specter withe bigger thornier claws than mine. I'll try to upload pics for comparison later :\

There is some difference in claw size. The reds are generally a little smaller, although I ate one last weekend (sorry) that was pretty much the size of my pet blue (don't tell him).

Different types are different sizes and of course it depends on the age as well as the individual cray. Were you asking the original question because you're looking for the largest variety on the market? Or making a decision based upon tank space? Or--?

Sorry for the late reply, been having problems with my sim and they couldn't fix it so I just decided to buy a new one. I was just wondering about the difference cause someone on Facebook was asking about it and I was curious about it for a while now and decided to ask the experts before I tried to weigh in. I wasn't sure about what I read so I made sure to ask about it here 1st. It's weird tho cause the dark red looks so different from the orange, claw wise when they're basically the same right? Also my specter's claws are a lot skinnier than some of the one's I've seen. Like long and slender instead of being bulky.

Also I found a different, more reputable seller of blue destructor but they're still less than 1 inch I think. He said he can have them delivered this week or next week, I can't remember. He just wanted them to grow a little bit more. I'm worried about the transportation since they're still young and might have problems molting. It's only an hour away tho.

Attachments

• IMG_20230411_234307.jpg
    IMG_20230411_234307.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 23
Also another dwarf cray of mine got eaten by it's mate :nono: the 1st time the male ate the female so I bought another female but this time this female tore his claw and after a while she ate the male. I think he was molting or something. I wanted to make them mate that's why I kept them together. I redid their mini pond so less clutter and I could see them more. I'm buying another one but I don't know what to do with them anymore :(

Attachments

• IMG_20230411_235441.jpg
    IMG_20230411_235441.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 22
Back
Top Bottom