Disappearing RCS..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfool58

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just recently bought 30 RCS off Aquabid, & They were doing fine, all over the place.. Now I barely see them, my tank is decently planted for a 10 gal.. But are easily visible due to their bright red color on my black background & green plants.. Idk where the have gone, ive checked my filter occasionally it seems as one or two of the smaller ones get on it & don't seem to be able to get off so I rescue them.. But I checked the filter & nothing.. Also for fish, I have 6 Endlers Livebearers, like 1/2 inch. And they seemed interested in the shrimp at first, but left them alone after they knew it wasn't food.. But in a 10gal tank, I'd imagine you'd e able to see them everywhere & I can.. & idk where they could have went.. Can anyone help?

image-265873690.jpg

I'm paranoid, but maybe they are just hiding under there,
But I don't think all 30 would fit there?? :/

Attachments

• image-3606829109.jpg
    image-3606829109.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 88
  • image-4223313475.jpg
    image-4223313475.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 85
  • image-1342555726.jpg
    image-1342555726.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 96
  • image-123318718.jpg
    image-123318718.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 99
Nice tank
Well I have about 25 in my 10 right now I can't always see them all though try feeding them that should make them all gather around the food
Also I know that they come out more when it's only RCS but im not sure since you have livebearers and their pretty harmless to the adults

Thanks, & it's been about a week now.. What do you feed yours? I tried algae wafers, but they didn't seem interested in them..

fishfool58 said:
Thanks, & it's been about a week now.. What do you feed yours? I tried algae wafers, but they didn't seem interested in them..

I feed them algae wafers and hikari shrimp cuisine they go mad for both of them
Weird their not interested if one starts eating the rest usually follow

Fishandmusic81 said:
I feed them algae wafers and hikari shrimp cuisine they go mad for both of them
Weird their not interested if one starts eating the rest usually follow

Oh, do you feed them before lights out or in the morning?

BTW in as nicely planted tank as yours ... I can see the RCS having plenty of hiding places completely out of sight.

jcolon said:
BTW in as nicely planted tank as yours ... I can see the RCS having plenty of hiding places completely out of sight.

I'll try both of them.. & I know they have plenty of places.. But I look everywhere.. With a light shined in every dark corners.. & I find little shrimps laying around on their back.. Moving their feet, then later I don't ever see them there again..

Laying on their backs? My shrimp have done this from time to time, or I'd a pink one in the mix somewhere. It always prompted me to do a large water change and it fixed whatever the issue could've been.

jetajockey said:
Laying on their backs? My shrimp have done this from time to time, or I'd a pink one in the mix somewhere. It always prompted me to do a large water change and it fixed whatever the issue could've been.

Okay, so in a 10 gallon tank, a large water change would be? & should I put some Carbon in my filter? Sometimes I just see shrimp laying upside down, not moving their feet.. :/ but they are always gone when I check a hour later or when I come home from work.. Should I move
My Endlers? Could that possibly be a problem..

Also, since the pH was low I've added a couple sea shells to the filter.. To maybe increase the pH a little, & make the water a little harder.. Hope this helps.. I work a 14 hour shift tomorrow so I won't be able to check it, until tomorrow night or even sunday.. Hopefully it helped..

What's your wc schedule like now? I do 50% wc's on my shrimp tank weekly. I've got endlers with shrimp but they don't seem to mess with the adults. I never see babies in there, though, so I don't know.

jetajockey said:
What's your wc schedule like now? I do 50% wc's on my shrimp tank weekly. I've got endlers with shrimp but they don't seem to mess with the adults. I never see babies in there, though, so I don't know.

Same here! Every Wednesday I do a 50% change.. Then after I dose with API leaf zone..

Check the API leaf zone for copper
Copper is very bad for shrimp
I stopped dosing anything in there I just left a huge bunch of java moss, java fern and anubias

Fishandmusic81 said:
Check the API leaf zone for copper
Copper is very bad for shrimp
I stopped dosing anything in there I just left a huge bunch of java moss, java fern and anubias

No copper in leaf zone, I posted a pic of ingredients earlier in thread..

What kind of filter you have because they can be sucked up in the filter intake

hellaasian said:
What kind of filter you have because they can be sucked up in the filter intake

Tetra whisper 5-10.. but I've check it continuously & most of the shrimp were bigger
Than the slits in the strainer..

Back
Top Bottom