Do ghost shrimp eat snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The problem is that there are many species of "ghost shrimp". Some are more aggressive than others. The ones sold in most parts of the U.S. are not aggressive. I am talking about the ones with a red band around each little claw hand and the ones with faint white or darker spots or strips. Almost look like a tiger shrimp but clear. I have both of these types and they get huge. I have never seen them harm a fry or small snail. I have seen them take food away from a grown molly. Do some research about ghost shrimp in your area to see if you can identify the species. Ask your seller what the scientific name is and research that.

Amano shrimp can be aggressive from what I have read. Any shrimp is an opportunist. They are natures cleanup crew and food source. The baby snail could have been sick or weak. Or the shrimp may have just been really hungry. They will fight for food with fish and snails. I have seen mine try to push the snail out of the way to get to plant wafers. I have also seen them ride on my larger snails but they have never hurt any that I have seen. Caution is always the best way to go when adding anything to your aquarium. Hope for the best but plan for the worst.

Back
Top Bottom