Do Shrimp Need Filters/Heaters/etc?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have an empty 10 gallon in my garage that i was thinking of turning into a heavily planted tank and wanted to know if I could throw some shrimp in there for fun.

Do they need the same requirements as fish? I was thinking RCSs as they look cool. Also how many can I stick in a 10 gallon?

Also I found online that one person said they don't need filters and other said they do. Whats the deal on that?

I think if it's insanely heavily planted and you keep up with water changes you can get away without a filter. But I haven't tried it. Heaters aren't necessary as long as the temperature is consitent.

I have a heavily planted 10g with no filter, heater, or light. Has a breeding colony of both least killifish and RCS, as well as otos and nerite snails.

In general though I would recommend a sponge filter. RCS are hardly once they get established and can tolerate a rather wide range of water temps, consistency is what's important.

So I also have this from my most recent turtle but he died. Is this good? I liked it bc it was silent when in water.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1447725305762.jpg
    1447725305762.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 1447725320529.jpg
    1447725320529.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 62
I also have this. It says Fluval at the top. I used it as a turtle filter. It's quiet and I like it. Will it work?

Attachments

• 1447725763747.jpg
    1447725763747.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 1447725777957.jpg
    1447725777957.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 57
I also have this. It says Fluval at the top. I used it as a turtle filter. It's quiet and I like it. Will it work?

This looks good. It will keep some good flow going throughout the tank. Be careful though, to prevent shrimp from being sucked into it you may have to put a sponge preflight intake over the intake.

Personally i use the double sponge filters that was already linked. That with plants + wc would really be all you need. On the note of heater if you have big/fast temp swings you will need it. I personally always use them for security sake. I keep the water level about an inch to 2 under the rim of the tank though. i used to fill mine pretty high and had some escape artists with helps from floating plants. Back to the sponge filter. I personally love these ones, They make a decent amount of noise but i use 1 for 2 sponge filters and can even do 2 sponges and 2 airstones

Aqua Culture: 20-60 Gallon, Double Outlet Aquarium Air Pump, 1 Ct - Walmart.com

I have seen them go on sale a few times for as cheap as $6, i have had 3 of those running for 6+ months with no problems, Like i said they make some noise but i minimize it by putting a cut piece of an old shirt under it.

Best of luck

Another question: how should I do water changes? Do I need to dig deep in the gravel to pull the dirty stuff like my other stuff or should I be more gentle? Also I should always be very aware bc they are small enough to get sucked in right?

Personally i like the sand way more in my shrimp tank, my tanks are split about half and half gravel/sand ATM but i have started a threat myself about sand as i am looking to switch all of them to sand.

I read somewhere sand was a lot better for rcs i don't remember all the reasons but one is so the food doesn't fall into the gravel and they and they can just kinda brows and pick it up. Possibly something with the baby shrimp too but not sure

Either way i would get black substrate as it bring out their color more. I personal only do gravel changes every month or 2, My wc's very on tanks but my shrimp tanks doesn't have much in it fish/shrimp wise atm and is bi-weekly. Coupled with a large clump of moss and water sprite/java ferns. When going gravel/substrate vacuums the larger shrimp tent not top even be bothered its the small ones you have to be careful of. Most of the time they try and move away anyway but i always let the bucket sit for about 10min and inspect it very well before dumping.

On a side note of WC i feel like the plants in my bi-weekly change tanks grow much better/faster.

+1 on black substrate!

Another plus to a sponge filter is that it eventually has biofilm that the shrimp love to pick at.

If you do go that route make sure you research your air pump. Even if you don't shop there Amazon is a great place to read reviews. I have an air pump in the room where I am sitting that is essentially silent. I have a different pump 2 rooms away that I can clearly hear :nono:

Back
Top Bottom