Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2017, 06:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Electric blue crayfish

I have had my EBC for about about 2 months now and I haven't seen him eat a thing? I'll drop shrimp pellets rite next to him and he'll just freeze for a second and then keep walking completely ignoring them. I have also tried mysis shrimp, blood worms, and hikari (I'm most likely spelling this wrong) carnivore pellets, and occasionally a veggie water with spinrula in it (I was told this would promote his continuous shade of blue)

My last EBC use to eat anything it could get it's hands on at any time including 6 of its tank mates in under a week.

My new EBC luckily doesn't even pay attention to his tank mates sometimes even just walking over them to keep going about his walk but he never nips at them or even look towards them when they are near by.

Having this guy for almost 2 months now I figured he would have molted but he is still in his original shell.

However my last EBC was also growing like crazy almost 3 inches in just the first couple of weeks I had him.

He is kept in a 55 gallon long tank with a 4" arowana (this is just until my 150g is cycled completely)
three 2" Columbian sharks,
a 2" ornate birchir (also will be moving to 150g)
And an African butterfly fish
Fine sand substrate and plenty of hiding places

No one shows any signs of stress and everyone gets along as well (no signs of scales missing or fins being nipped)

Is it normal for him to not be eating like my original EBC? Is there anything I should try to get him to eat? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:46 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Same tank and water setup for both?

Old 02-24-2017, 06:01 PM   #3

Yes the only difference is that I added an extra plant, and the butterfly fish, Bichir, and arowana.

Other than that the tank is the exact same, ironically he actually is starting to come out of his rock cave for shrimps pellets now, how ever is it is quite random when he will do so. (Some says yes other days not at all) I assume it is due to him maturing? I'm no expert on any fish though so I'm not sure either way.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Crayfish in general are expert scavengers, it might just be picking up leftovers when you're not looking!
Old 02-27-2017, 10:16 PM   #5

Okay thank you that puts me a bit at ease, I just worried that my cats are devouring the pellets before kraken can get to them. He seems to afraid of them and backs into a cave when they come around.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:17 PM   #6

Sorry kraken is the name I gave the cray, I didn't even realize I put his name at the time lol.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:12 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

How long is my electric blue crayfish pregnant for?
Old 05-06-2017, 04:43 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Electric blue crayfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggahoon View Post
How long is my electric blue crayfish pregnant for?

And what temp should the water be at? Please help anybody
Old 05-12-2017, 03:28 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I think your blue cray has autism.

lol jk not really a laughing matter.

Perhaps it's uncomfortable due to water parameters? trim your params to as close as you can to perfect and hope it starts eating. if you've been feeding it dead mysis shrimp and bloodworms perhaps try live ones? I had a white cray that absolutely refused to eat anything but live brine shrimp, the choosy prick.

Tags
blue, blue crayfish, crayfish, electric, electric blue, electric blue crayfish, fish, ray

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com