Electric Blue Lobster Worms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katdoug24

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I have a female blue crayfish (electric blue lobster) that I have had for a couple weeks now. I have recently noticed these long stringy white worm looking things that stick out of her leg joints and from underneath her tail and they wave around . I have been trying to figure out and research but I can't find anything that looks like it. Could this just be a part of her body or could it be some kind of parasitic worms? I have not seen her molt yet in the two weeks that I have had her. She started off eating very well but her appetite seems to have slowed down a bit and I also noticed she has starting curling her tail more. I am going to try to upload a picture of the worm-like things. Thanks!

Attachments

• crayfish worm.jpg
    crayfish worm.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 171
They could be infected with any of a large variety of flatworms / parasites.

Often the small ones at the edges of where the shells connect are Branchiobdellida (Annelida: Clitellata) These are very tiny (although according to the article below could possibly be that size).

The ones on your pics look like larger flatworms and could be near anything.

temnocephalans
kellicotti
paragoniumus

The good news is that you can try a couple things, like a salt dip a few times as there can be eggs that hatch out too possibly, or a few kinds of medication.

Interesting educational article
WInvertebrates! Student Paper

You can use a dewormer.

Safeguard Liquid Goat dewormer which is fenbendazole will kill off a great number of worm types. It is liquid and more easily mixes for treatment and in a 10% suspension so easier to dose than the pill form of dog dewormer. Can be found at pet and farm / livestock supply stores.

Back
Top Bottom