Escargo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nirbhao

Aquarium Advice Addict
I saw her sitting on the heater, looking as if something was wafting from the shell. Removed her from the heater. After a day without movement, I took her out. She smelled like burning rubber. She's been returned to the wilderness whence she came (i.e. buried in the garden), but it's really bugging me.

The tank is 10 gallons with four nerites and two female guppies. We set it up in September. The guppies get a variety of food, and I supplement the snails' diet with sheet seaweed. I'm a fanatic about water quality, and on Saturday parameters were ammonia 0, nitrites 0, and nitrates 10. We've had her since July. After removing her, ammonia was .25ppm.

She was plenty big when we got her, so it's possible she was just old. But, I mean...

The heater is a Marineland VisiTherm. I can't find wattage, but it's about six inches long. We keep the tank at 78° F.

The snails and one of the guppies sit on the heater all the time, so I never thought it was a problem.

Did I cook my snail?

Back
Top Bottom